Help with sidecap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with sidecap

My wife's grandmother recently passed away in France and we received several items I could use help identify and give a value.

Some background to help and I think these items are legitimate, they may have been traded near the end of the war. We don't know the history, these items were never talked about. The grandmother and her father were Resistance members who helped rescue a British and an Australian aviator and were occasionally lookouts (just to say they were 'active', but 'passive' in their means and I highly doubt they personally looted these items). In 1945 she was a translator for the Americans and we have pics of her in a US Army women's uniform working at some sort of headquarters. She married a GI and they settled in New Jersey. When he died and their children were grown she returned to France.

Ok, I'm much more into tanks and AFV's. I can't even tell what brach of the service this cap is from. It bears no stamps or tags inside to say a model or manufacturer. Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited by Homerr; 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM.

It is an original EM/NCO overseas hat...There was a branch of service soutache but it was removed.

Glenn
    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

its a nice early war Wehrmacht side cap,for sure with a great story,to bad we will never know that story. i will put 300-350 usd value on this one .

Comment

original sidecap
        the shadow of the removd soutache and where it went throught flaps are clearly visible.
        check behind flaps if there are few colored remains of this souchache, sometimes you can identify the branch of service althought it was removed.
        derka

Comment

I'll check tonight. I had to look up what a soutache is!

It think you are all talking about the red soutache in this example:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=560306

(I see that some other caps have piping around at the seam between the roundel and the eagle, but those are officer caps?)

Comment

Originally posted by Homerr View Post
            I'll check tonight. I had to look up what a soutache is!

It think you are all talking about the red soutache in this example:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=560306

(I see that some other caps have piping around at the seam between the roundel and the eagle, but those are officer caps?)
            yes, in your link, Alex's #1, the second pic is the area you should check for eventual remains of soutache on your sidecap.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X