The German Chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The German Chaplain

Several years ago, I was lucky enough to amass a very large German Chaplain collection spaning times from 1800 to 1955. The dichotomy of the German Chaplain serving in the III Reich always fascinated me. I wanted to learn as much as I could to see what motivated these men, and what the major differences between the Catholic and Protestant faiths were.

I quit collecting Chaplain items some years ago. Ever since then I have watched other collectors make the same mistakes I did when I started out. When the dealers decided everything "rare" was worth it's weight in gold, no matter how desirable it was, I have seen chaplain's items rise in value. This rise has lead to many, many fakes, forgeries, and outright crap to come upon the market.

I want to start a post with some of my old stuff in it, plus make a photo archive of real material so novice collectors don’t get nailed by junk. I'll try to add all the design, piping, and references I can. If the Moderators deem this post to be better used in a different venue, please let me know. If other collectors have photos to add, please do.

The German Chaplains were given the standard rank of "Officer" during both the Imperial and III Reich timeframe. The uniforms you will see should be of officer quality as will the overseas caps and equipment. Chaplains did, during WWII use enlisted men's tunics, just as regular line officers did. However, during Imperial times, I have yet to see an officer wearing an enlisted tunic.
    During the start of WWII, there were roughly 450 Catholic chaplains in the German army. If you add in a roughly equal number of Protestant chaplains, you get roughly 900 service active chaplains in the German army at the start of hostilities. Chaplain assignments ran the gambit of hospital staff positions, to regimental assignments. Many German post war books detail a unnamed chaplain’s duties or heroism; many others mention they never saw or heard of a chaplain in service during the war. It appears not each regiment had a chaplain, nor did each division.

The photo below shows a chaplain ensable from the German Chaplain's Museum (?) in Berlin. A fully named grouping to a Catholic chaplain--how so:
    1. The cross has the corpus, or Christ's body on it. The Evangelistic ones do not. (otherwise the uniforms are the same). Both visors in the display have METAL crosses. Read that again....METAL CROSSES. Bullion ones existed on crushers, but I have only seen ONE photo of a chaplain wearing a bullion visor cross. ONE...
    Attached Files

The Cross

While we are on the topic, the Cross on the visor and overseas cap is usually a dead give-away if a hat was messed with or restored post war. The cross to a Erel, private purchase hat was in WHITE METAL. The crosses were submitted and approved by the OKW before the war started. The crosses were of a Gothic type which changed the Imperial, and Reichsweher/Heer versions which were an enameled Greek cross (all sides being equal).

The III Reich cross was a very well made pieces, I have seen backs with either a flat, angulated edge to them. Or with a round spear point attachment to them. Each one would have to be bent slightly going into the hat. There should be some wear on these if they were ever on a hat. The front sides of the insignia will show some wear.

The original schematic and the original probe tag board with a cross on it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another shot of an original.

(ignore the second cross for a sec)
      Attached Files

Comment

Two more

The visor is a named chaplain hat.

Now for a quick look at a "how to tell it's original technique" The lower cross X-stitch, look at it closely, do you see the optical illusion of a "bend"?? The bend on the X stitch from left to right I have seen on all original chaplain's hats. The bend must have been in the dyes they used to make the hats. I have never seen an orignal without that look (I'll mark it in a sec)

HOWEVER--there is a guy on Ebay selling restrikes which are from a new dye. The arms of the X stitch are straight. Perfectly straight....too straight. I had trouble downloading a photo of that one, let me try again.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bending photo
          Attached Files

Comment

Now the first big controversy. Was this the only hat cross the III Reich produced. No, it is not. Way to complicate our lives German hat makers.

There were several types made and used, most of the variations I have seen are on overseas caps. But the standard rule is: The large gothic 3d cross was used on all German Army headgear including OS caps. It was bulky, and looked a tad off, but it was still used.

Rarely will you find a photo of a chaplain with a non standard cross. RARE!!!! Remember, there were 900 chaplains at the start of the war. How many hats are there?? Now how many are variations?? Now how many still exist??? And if so many exist, why dont we see photos of them. Have YOU seen a photo of the cross on the hat you want to buy??? If not, save your money.

You will see smaller crosses like the one in the photo below on visors, and OS caps. The cross came from Steve Wolfe, who told me it came off a hat that was annilated by moths. The cross is heavy in the hand, and well marked on its surface with patterns coming out of the cross.

Comment

Photos.....all METAL

This one is a pre war enamel cross
              Attached Files

Comment

Metal crosses of the same type
                Attached Files

Comment

Another with a close up

Look at the POSITION of these crosses. These should be roughly the same. The hat maker took and order for a hat, with a cross (not everyone had them....more fun for us later on) and placed the insignia with spacing in mind.

HE DID NOT place the wreath and the eagle, then say to himself, "$%*^ I forgot the cross!!" And then proceede to wedge a cross inbetween the eagle and the hat bad.

However, fakers like to do this. Any hat you see where the cross is smashed between the other insignia is a hat with added insignia.
                  Attached Files

Comment

more
                    Attached Files

Comment

another
                      Attached Files

Comment

again
                        Attached Files

Comment

standard cross still
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Chaplain death card, still standard visor cross
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X