FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodwork-found Mint EM Panzer Visor Cap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, check out the side pictures. There is a lot of fading on the thin layer of green where then hat would have contacted the head. It looks dirty/soiled in person. A good indication of correct aging IMO.

Comment

This one hits me in some strange ways....I too don't like the sweatband and its underlayer....the visor exterior looks good, aged, cracked...then we come to this nearly pristine and, pardon me for saying so, modern looking sweatband....I may be wrong, I will keep an eye on this thread...visor caps are not my forte but I would most likely pass on this one unless it was offered to me at a very good price.
      I hope I am wrong,
      Just my two cents,
      Eric

Comment

No one has chimed in with a maker yet. Private purchase?

Comment

Whatthecrunch,

Can you snap some clearer pics of the damaged area to the pipping to the back left of the cap? As im sure your aware its not a standard Heer eagle on the cap but there are numerous period pics that show caps like this with NSDAP eagles in wear. The part that is throwing me on this visor is the lining/sweatband. You have a early Heer pz visor for an EM soldier that someone likely dicked with post war. Granted I am not a visor guru such as BenVK or Stonemint or several other members on this forum but that cap has issues. For it being an early issue em cap it should have a orange oil cloth lining (believe that is what its called) and the sweatband would be different with a unit likely stamped on the inside. This one has had the whole lining swapped out in my opinion but the base cap is original and early in my opinion. Thats likely why the inside doesn't match the outside. Kinda kills any value it had, just makes it a display piece until an untouched one comes along in my opinion. Matt

Comment

This is the type of lining I would expect to see on a cap like yours. Early issue cap. Matt
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Matt. Interesting discussion thus far. I will try to get some good pictures of the back piping, the liner, and the liner construction tonight when I get home. It is strange to think that someone would screw with the liner post war, but retain the original sweat band. Plus, the hat is in such great shape, but the liner would have been bad enough to replace? This hat has some interesting quirks to include the insignia, the silver chord on the sides, and the interior.

I guess anything is possible, but is there a chance that this was a standard hat modified by a mom and pop shop to be a nicer example for the soldier to purchase?

The story is really throwing me for a loop right now too. It all checked out with it coming from a veteran's estate.

Comment

I think its ugly enough to be real...Horrible piping and all.... Billbert

Comment

The inside does not do it for me. I am sure it has been fiddled with. Jacques

Comment

If they replaced the liner they replaced the sweatband as well, hence the reason it doesn't look right. Messed with post war for sure in my opinion but again its just an opinion and as long as you like it and sleep fine with it being in your collection at night then so be it. You make it sound like you got it cheap and if you got it for say a couple hundred bucks what the hell, it will fill the gap till an untouched one comes along. Matt

Comment

Perhaps the vet himself had it upgraded postwar somewhere to improve its looks inside? An interesting discussion here.

Comment

More pics of under the sweatband. Notice the green fabric showing through underneath the white fabric. The insignia pin is also present.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by whatthecrunchyo; 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Some more under the sweatband. You can see the insignia poking through on the first pic.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by whatthecrunchyo; 09-02-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

More construction pics. You can see the insignia poking through on the second pic.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by whatthecrunchyo; 09-02-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Notice the dirt ring on the first pic. This hat has certainly been worn. I have no doubts about that. The second pic shows the wear on the piping. Not sure what from.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if these pics help with determining how the piping was attached. Hopefully they do.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X