GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodwork-found Mint EM Panzer Visor Cap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodwork-found Mint EM Panzer Visor Cap!!

Looks like my number was finally called! I struck gold This is my first visor cap ever, so the pink piping is truly special for me!

This hat has a very interesting story. I bought it off a guy locally. Here's his story:

He is part of the Volunteer Fire Department in a small town. A lady who lives in California owns a house in his town that has been abandoned since 1990. Apparently an old hermit used to live there. She got tired of paying property taxes and since the house is so decrepit, she asked the volunteer fire department to burn it down for her. Before the guys were to do a controlled burn, they had to check the house for anything that could be hazardous. When they went looking through the house they found a big tin tote full of stuff. They found an Ike jacket, a few pairs of pants, a huge Nazi battle flag, some German flyer's maps, and this hat. Apparently they had mothballs everywhere protecting all of the items. Unfortunately someone got to the battle flag before me and got it for $300. The uniforms went for $100. I got this beautiful hat for a very cheap price to say the least.

This cap has no moth holes, no tears...no decay of any type. It is in excellent shape.

What do you guys think? The only questions I really have (I'm not a hat collector) is, who is the maker of the hat? What do the silver braids signify on the leather chin cord?

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files

More pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

The inside and the crazing on the bill.
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks promising but better pics taken out doors in natural lighting would help a great deal,,, that being said, I am not sure what is going on with the "officer" chin cord knots on an NCO strap.. never seen that before..
        Van

Comment

Thanks for your comment. I couldn't think of anything either. I was thinking that der Spiess got creative?

Comment

Here are some natural lighting pics. Enjoy!
            Attached Files

Comment

More.
              Attached Files

Comment

Different Angles.
                Attached Files

Comment

yup.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Inside details.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Last one. Notice the light dirt ring that formed around the sweat band. Hard to see in the picture but most visible in the upper right side of pic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
                        Thanks for your comment. I couldn't think of anything either. I was thinking that der Spiess got creative?
                        or an officer candidate?

Anyway a cool looking hat
                        Cheers
                        Lars

Comment

Good guess. Is that common to your knowledge?

Comment

I am sure it is just me, but this cap is not giving me a good vibe. How is the top piping abutted? And I am not a fan of the sweatband. But again, it is just me.

Comment

What exactly do you mean by abutted? How it connects on the outside?

The wear on the hat is very good and concurrent with a hat that has actually been worn and not artificially aged. Also, it was found among other original items in a house that has been abandoned since 1990. The house was inhabited by a veteran. I know that the story is not enough to go off of, but this hat looks very good in person and the light patina does not appear to be faked. The crazing on the bill, while light, looks concurrent with other hats that I have seen of the period. Tis hat would surprise me if it was a fake. It even has a slight, old, musty smell!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X