Artillery Crusher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery Crusher?

Hi I picked this up over the weekend at a indoor flee market. I was wondering if any one out there can replace the paper sweatband? Also I would like to clean it a little.It is filthy and was laying smashed in a display case under some junk. What would be the best way or is it possible to get the shape back??
    The eagle appears to have been replaced at onetime,you can see the outline of the original one and this one is off center a little.

Thanks In advance David R.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ben (BenVK) does wonders, I am sure he can fix it up for you.

Comment

First of all congrats David R. to finding this very nice original crusher ... these paper sweatbands are virtually impossible to really restore from what I have heard.

That is a good thing as you will always know that a sb is original to cap when it's one like this (especially in this condition). That said, I'd advise you to LEAVE it as it is! You have a nice untouched example and while I don't have the slightest problem with restorations, you wouldn't really improve it's value. After all, are you going to display it upside down? That's just my opinion of course but I'd have more problems with a restored than a damaged sb like this.

BTW, you should maybe post a pic of your new cap in daylight next to an orange and a tomatoe. I see something red in the background which is awefully more red than the piping on my screen -- so there might be even more disappointment that you actually scored a Recruiting/Field police crusher rather than the Artillery you thought you had.

Kurt

Comment

I agree with Kurt, looks orange. Please don't restore it. Leave as is. Jacques

Comment

Hi guys the piping is red the photo shows it as orange. I will try it in natural sun light. I have an older Sony camera and I can't seem to get reds and greens to come out when in the house??
              David R.

Comment

Guys I wouldn't say its a "true" crusher, I think it was obviously period modified from a standard visor and turned into this. The cap material seems to be a nice early quality wool and with that sweatshield and what appears to be buttons for a visor just pushed all the way into the band. I guess these are just my observations but who knows. I really have to defer to Kurt as he is pretty much the resident experienced man when it comes to all things crushers. Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X