EREL General visor cap, opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
    Kogy, the body lining and sweatband are all real. Just the piping is replaced. He may just have razored out the 'farb piping an then (very poorly) sewed on the celleon piping. But, at the same time it is so lumpy and wavy it looks like he just re-covered it in areas.
    Can it be the cap of a promoted colonel?

Comment

Originally posted by Overlord1944 View Post
      Yeah sure, colonel Snyder.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
        thanks for your answer, It is very educational.
        We need more collectors as you

Comment

thanks for your answer, It is very educational.
          We need more collectors as you
          Thanx man, glad I could help. Jacques

Comment

That's quite comical.

No muetzenfabrik worker in the Third Reich would dare to do a "snake eating its tail" piping like that. He'd be fired. Plus, isn't it more costly to repipe than to just purchase a brand new general's cap?

Comment

Originally posted by Koguryo9 View Post
              ... Plus, isn't it more costly to repipe than to just purchase a brand new general's cap?
              While I think there is NO QUESTION the piping job on the cap that started this thread is NOT PERIOD & while I agree with everything else Koguryo9 stated above, you mustn't mistake a 1940ies German officer's mentality for that of a 21st Century American.

Nothing was thrown away in Germany back then --- whenever you could actually retailor or reuse an item, it was done. There also was a war going on and at some point, materials weren't available anymore. Expect to see a lot of period upgrades for that reason (desirability among collectors would be a different question) but they are real.

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                While I think there is NO QUESTION the piping job on the cap that started this thread is NOT PERIOD & while I agree with everything else Koguryo9 stated above, you mustn't mistake a 1940ies German officer's mentality for that of a 21st Century American.

Nothing was thrown away in Germany back then --- whenever you could actually retailor or reuse an item, it was done. There also was a war going on and at some point, materials weren't available anymore. Expect to see a lot of period upgrades for that reason (desirability among collectors would be a different question) but they are real.

Kurt

Hi Daniel,

Upgrades were indeed pretty common (swapping chincords, insignia, even the cap band, from wool to velvet), however, do we know whether period done repiped visors exist? I have always thought repiping is extremely hard and uneconomic to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Koguryo9 View Post
                  Hi Daniel,

Upgrades were indeed pretty common (swapping chincords, insignia, even the cap band, from wool to velvet), however, do we know whether period done repiped visors exist? I have always thought repiping is extremely hard and uneconomic to do.

Yes, it was definitely done. There is a scan of a period catalog ( Wm Welhausen I believe ) on another forum where the service is offered.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichK View Post
                    Yes, it was definitely done. There is a scan of a period catalog ( Wm Welhausen I believe ) on another forum where the service is offered.
                    Thanks Erich. Any known examples for us to take a look at? Wondering if they did a nice job or not with this seemingly very difficult task. I'd think re-piping would primarily be done to convert an officer's visor (regardless of waffenfarbe color) to a general's visor since most soldiers and officers did not switch branch of service, I assume. I wonder, what is the percentage of general's visors that are repiped? Shouldn't be too high, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                      Funny, Jacques! Too funny!

Kogy,

That's not "a snake eating it's tail" piping. That's just overlap piping, which did exist (rarely) during the TR, but never on a general's cap IMO. Notice the hand-stitching in black thread of the sweatband - a death-knell for any Erel cap you encounter, especially high-end caps such as general's visor's. Can you imagine what kind of d**k-sucking, mother-f**king SOB would destroy a good cap to make this abomination???

Comment

I think we forget that even an Erel general's visor cap, while expensive in its day, was not expensive or out of reach for a German general officer relative to their collectible value today. Were there frugal officers out there, or sentimental ones who wanted to keep their favorite old cap? Sure. But not the cap in question!

Don

Comment

On sale

On sale, hope no one gets burned

BR
                          Nicolai

http://www.militaria321.com/auktion/...-GENERALE.html

Comment

Just look at where it came from...

Don

Comment

At least he is stating that insignia and cord are replaced and not original to the visor....

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                                At least he is stating that insignia and cord are replaced and not original to the visor....

By "cord" I hope he means the piping.....
                                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X