M40 style tropical cap....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M40 style tropical cap....???

Guys got this cap along with the cuff title and document that I sold on the estand. There was a thread started some time ago on this cap but there was no real answer on its originality. I like several aspects of the construction but its not a Heer cap and I have leaned towards luftwaffe. I can take andy and all additional shots that are needed but would love to hear everyones thoughts on this one. Possibly a POW produced piece but who knows. Lets see if we can all learn something from this cap, its pretty salty and has the fake Heer trap on it right now but you can see an outline of where an eagle seems like it was stitched across the front at one point. Bill is broken in the middle but feels like a cardboard type material. Lets have at it! Matt
    Attached Files

q
    Attached Files

Comment

w
      Attached Files

Comment

e
        Attached Files

Comment

r
          Attached Files

Comment

Do what you like but the first thng I would do is remove that fake insignia..Billbert

Comment

Billburt,

I just havn't gotten around to cutting it off. What do you think of the cap itself? I just don't honestly know what the hell to think of it. Im cutting the crap insignia off of it tonight. Matt

Comment

cap

hi
                im sure that its bloodstains on the front
                so maybe not pow made but field made ??
                cheers
                fraser

Comment

Hi Matt, it's of the period I think but most probably POW camp made.
                  I really like it

Get rid of the trap though like Bill said...

Comment

Hi Matt,

Personaly I like the cap and think it is period field made. I especialy like the age, ware & condition of the cap...to me it does not look aged in an artifitialy contrived manor. What I really like and recognise from my quite salty m40 is the manor in which the peak has shaped it self and the vet who owned it.

Another thing I like about it is its well made with nice details.

I'd definately take the cap insignia off and then you might be able to dissern if it had Luftwaffe or Heer insignia on it in the past.

Greg

Comment

Looks like it had the same type of sb at one time as this example
                      http://www.relichunter.com/luftotropm41.jpg
                      Last edited by Lenny W; 04-14-2012, 04:45 PM.
                      Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                      teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

SB looks like it would be the same but the stitching is a whole lot different to a factory made example..
                        Attached Files

Comment

That SB looks to be hand stitched back on Ben as the stitching looks pretty random /adhoc compared to the construction of the rest of the cap. I'd be interested to know if there is any evidence of previous insignia's applied. If not then I would tend to agree with you that it was likely made in a camp.

Comment

Im with you guys on it. I really like it and the feel of it in hand is right on for period construction. I like that the material isn't your standard tropical type and it just screams like the real deal to me. I think its a keeper for the collection at this point and will snap some pics of it tomorrow after I clip off the crapy trap on the front. Thanks for the thoughts guys and would love to hear more. Matt

Comment

DAK cap

I think this cap was up for discussion a year ago. 2011, he wanted to know the same, original or fake. He said he was going to put it on e stand for 20 pounds,( sorry no icon for English money). Will try and find the thread. DL. Found it. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=DAK+cap

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X