Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Tropical Cap - of sorts

Hi folks,

I thanked the seller of the Hermann Meyer cap and the Luftwaffe tropical sidecap, and he asked whether I'd seen the cap he'd offered to several collectors. They had rejected it due to lack of grommets and other features they didn't like, so he returned it to the original owner. An obvious fake.

I bought it after seeing the skull, which is definately good, and I have eagles in the silver-grey version of this tan shade. The cap does not have grommets, true, but looks like a good representative piece. Since the Hermann Meyer and sidecap were good, I took a chance on this one.

Is third one a charm?

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

Eagle and skull - look to be handsewn
    Attached Files

Comment

I believe we do..

A great looking fake if not period. Some of the elite tropical caps have the false sides, obviously missing on this example. Hopefully not a deal killer.
      Cheers,
      Paul
      Last edited by PaulMann; 04-11-2012, 10:23 PM. Reason: A.1

Comment

Thanks Paul, I think it will display fine. The Beaver/Shea SS headgear book shows most examples as having no scallops in the DAK style, so it looks fine to display with my saharina. At least, I think so.

I bought it believing at least the skull was good, and this is a tougher one to find. The bird may be good, but this style is not common.

For what I'm into it, I'm happy the skull is a good'n. The material looks like the late war stuff you see in army '44-45 dated cotton tunics, as well as some SS pieces, so I don't think it will display poorly.

Thanks for looking, Paul.

regrads, Robert

Comment

Original insignia ... this is the tropical equivalent of the silky grey eagle often found on Dachau fezes.

Ian

Comment

Robert you hit the jackpot ,

original cap, original skull and most of all an original eagle worth Euro 1000+ in its own right and as rare as hens teeth if you are missing one.

For some reason, sometimes the SS did not always put grommets in the tropical or reversible camo caps.

Well done and thanks for showing,

Chris

Comment

Thanks Ian. This eagle with the feather off the back of the head is the only type I'd be comfortable with in a tan or tropical color, and the skull is different than those loose Dachau skulls running around.

regards, Robert

Comment

Chris, thanks for looking - that would be good news if the cap is good in it's entirety!

I know you're a high student of field caps - thanks for looking.

regards, Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                  Chris, thanks for looking - that would be good news if the cap is good in it's entirety!

I know you're a high student of field caps - thanks for looking.

regards, Robert
                  No problem Robert,

the only thing that SS tropical cap is missing is the grommets. The offical version of the SS tropical cap with visor never had the false turned up sides like the WH or KM types. Your cap is 101% correct including the colour of the liner.

I agree also that the skull appears to be a slight different style from the numerous uncut examples which one sees from time to time. Again this combined with the ultra rare eagle are all good signs of an original cap.

Excellent find,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                    Thanks Ian. This eagle with the feather off the back of the head is the only type I'd be comfortable with in a tan or tropical color, and the skull is different than those loose Dachau skulls running around.

regards, Robert
                    Indeed, it's the feather off the back of the head and the silky texture I was refering to a VERY rare tropical bird.

The skull is as you say not the common or garden style of tropical skull found cut from the roll on many dealer's sites.

Ian

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Ian. I agree this style insignia are unique to the tropical cap, and I am happy to add this set to my collection.

Chris, that's good news on the cap body. This set of three topical caps - this SS one, the Hermann Meyer, and the LW tropical sidecap all came from one "brought 'em back myself" older gentleman.

regards, Robert

Comment

This cap is just as it should be, sometimes seen without grommets.

Comment

Mike, thanks for weighing in. I know you've seen these pass through your inventory before. I've never owned one, a reference books and threads only go so far on confirming originality.

s/f Robert

Comment

A real beauty in superb condition, congrats!
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Nice cap! I have a Heer tropical cap with no Grommets in my collection and you hit the jackpot here man. Congrats! Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X