BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a Hochgebirgsjäger cap in their collection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a Hochgebirgsjäger cap in their collection?

A local Gebirgsjäger veteran that I know was qualified as a "Hochgebirgsjäger", meaning that he was experienced in climbing the highest peaks.

As part of the honor of that qualification, the Hochgebirgsjäger wore the Edelweiss on their caps in a forward facing fashion (see his picture below).

I do not believe I've ever seen one of these caps posted from a collection, nor have I seen any other photos of the Edelweiss being worn in this fashion. Does anyone have an example of this cap, or similar photos?

I am also curious about the green backing on his Edelweiss. Was this a standard "upgrade" done by some of the vets, and was the backing readily available or something they handmade? I've asked him, but he cannot remember.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Servus WWIIBuff,

Which Hochgebirgsjäger Battalion was this veteran in? It may have been a unit thing to sew the Edelweiss in that fashion. I've seen other Hochgebirgsjägers wearing the Edelweiss normally. Other Hochgebirgsjäger units like Hochgebirgskompanie Groth wore eagle feathers place in between the Edelweisss and cap.

Also, wearing the Edelweiss in this forward facing fashion was how the Austrians tended to wear it...taking this from their WWI tradition.

The dark green backing was up to the individual's personal taste IMHO...though it does give a sharper appearance to the Edelweiss.

Berg Heil und Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply. He was in the 137th GJR and later the 139th GJR. I do not think it was a unit thing, as I have a few other pictures from him showing other members of his company, and their Edelweiss is facing backwards.

You mentioned Austria, well he was from Vienna, so maybe that has something to do with it as well? He was the only "city" boy in his company, all the other were local moutain men.

Were the dark green backing handmade?

Comment

Grüß Di' WWIIBuff,

Both of those regiments originated from Austria and served up in Norway and Finland.

I've seen a variety of dark green backings that would suggest that they were hand cut by individuals.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick

Comment

I suspect that the ones that ended up in collectors/dealers hands before the meaning of the forward facing Edelweiss was known......were "corrected"

Now that this information is out I think that we will start seeing a lot more of them.

Comment

Forward facing edelweis Hockgebirgsjager

I love this GJ info!!! thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X