Reichsbahn Visor Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reichsbahn Visor Restoration

I am planning on putting this cap back together, someone misbadged it as a feuerwehr cap. Would it be correct to place the cockade in the center of the cap band, and purchase a gold eagle? Also, what sort of side buttons and chincord are needed? Based on the photo, it look like the buttons were the pin type that were pushed through the pasteboard. I would greatly appreciate any guidance!
    Attached Files

Hi,

Yes you're right.... move the cockade down to the cap band and put a party eagle on the peak,at the place where the cockade is now....
    I've attached a picture of a Reichsbahn visor for example.....
    You will need an eagle,a chincord for officer's (or leather strap for enlisted men/nco's) and some aluminum pebbled buttons (officers) or plain black buttons (em/nco) .
    But someone messed with the cap by putting some other insignia to the front (Polizei eagle/wreath ?).
    You will always see the "extra " holes.......
    Good luck

Theo

Comment

Btw,

If you need a chincord for an officer,see this :

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Polit...s/N025666.html

Buttons can be found,no problem.
      Cord is a little harder to find.....

Comment

Thank you, DRK! It's a shame someone slammed a polizei eagle on there, but the rest of the cap was in such nice condition that, for the price, I could not resist.

I believe this cap was for an nco - you can see the holes from the buttons, usually left by the black-coated pin versions. What type of leather chinstrap should I be looking for to place on this Pekuro?
        Attached Files

Comment

you have 2 options an early or late cocarde

Hans

Comment

Basel, yours is an M-35 model. It has piping only above and below the velvet band piping. As such, the proper insignia would be an M-35 or M-38 gilt eagle, with a cockade only--no winged wreath. (The winged wreath is for the M-41 model, which has 3 rings of red piping.)

Your hat would be correct with either the leather chinstrap, or any of the 3 types of chincords. However, if you decide to use the cords, you will need pebbled gold buttons with the split prongs.

See this thread for reference:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=reichsbahn
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Stonemint
              you're right I was forgot the upper piping

Hans

Comment

I've had this cap for an hour and I'm already hooked on DRB caps. It's an early Pekuro with a leather visor. It is extremely clean, no mothing, and very solid. The cockade was original to the cap, and had just been incorrectly moved, so I corrected that. It fit right back into its original holes and imprint in the velvet. The extra holes on the band from what was probably a police eagle didn't seem to go all the way through the pasteboard, so I gently brushed the velvet back into place and it looks great.

There are no signs of side buttons or a chin cord ever being on the cap. Is it possible this cap never had one? The marks on the interior of pasteboard i had originally thought were from button prongs are actually fasteners of some sort and are much closer to the front of the cap.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cockade up close
                  Attached Files

Comment

Basel--
                    Yours is the first (and only) leather-visored DRB visor I have seen.

It is possible it never had cords, but paygrades were denoted by the same. Are you sure there are no holes in the pasteboard for buttons?

My other thought is that the buttons were sewn-on, but just thru the velvet, and not the pasteboard.

In any event, it is a rare, early cap--congrats!
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thank you, stonemint. I was unaware that leather visors were rare for DRB caps. I did look very closely for any trace of buttons, and it there is definitely nothing there. This is nice because now I don't have to worry about buttons/cord. Next step is to find an eagle. It is strange, however, that there don't seem to be holes from the eagle pins on the peak.

Comment

It could be a pre-1935 visor, but still would have a cockade on the peak, with a pair of wings above that. Maybe the holes are very fine, if the pins were thin.
                        Last edited by stonemint; 03-25-2012, 02:52 AM.
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X