• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This Here Fake?:

????:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Its very well done, precision-wise, but I would have to say yes, it is a fake...its the overall look and finish which just don't cut it, IMO...

Comment

They used lot of different bullion types...but it still looks cheesy.

I suppose it is a remote possibility that it is horrible photography that made a good one look bad, but the embroidery quality still isn't there.

My vote would be bad.

Richard

Comment

I'd agree that this doesn't really look that good. Still, one never knows, I haven't personally handled that many original examples and we mustn't forget that there also is a chance that this may have been foreign-made (especially if this was foreign service).

Can we see the thing it is attached to?

Kurt

Comment

The different bullion used makes the bird look funky, but the detail and craftsmanship is impressive IMO. Can we see the entire visor cap?

Mark

Comment

But it looks better than this silver one....
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
              But it looks better than this silver one....
              The silver bird I do not like. It appears to be missing the detail found in most period bullion work.

Comment

Chris... are we being tested?

Comment

As a non cap guy can I ask ... If this was an SS bullion sleeve eagle it would be formed round an unterlagen, to my eye the golden eagle cannot be because of the blatant (and mis-aligned) spaces between the wing components is that acceptable for diplomatic ?

The silver one looks horrible and clumsy and it's wing detail is artificially created by thread highlights ... a big no-no in SS bullion eagles.

Ian

Comment

Neither of them conform to the originals that I've handled.

Comment

Based only on the eagles themselves, I don't like either of them.

Comment

Tough crowd!

Here is the entire hat--note the high, well-padded peak and the sumptuous doeskin wool body with the finest gilted bullion piping:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hi Chirs,
                          IMO the silver one it's a original one ,some concerns on the gold one
                          Carlo

Comment

Chris,

I'd think the bullion pipings should/would've toned over the years? I don't recall seeing any original gold bullion piping that has not toned somewhat. Also, shouldn't the bullion eagle and wreath have oxidized too? They look a bit too fresh to be period made.

Comment

C'mon, guys Ribby wore one just like it--I feel like we are looking at the same hat here!
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X