Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W.Unland View Post
    Really?

So back in the 70's the caps with satouche were held back because someone knew they would be 2K someday? Really? I saw no satouched caps for sale back then. I am not saying you are wrong, I don't know, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that only the plain caps were sold originally and all these beautifully embellished caps have only recently found their way to the market. Dealers were in it for money back then too and a cap with satouche was more valuable. If you want to believe that these were held back for 40 years that's cool.

Oh, just one question which I mentioned before, what happened to the hundreds of plain caps. I don't see any for sale any more, only caps with rare satouche, with some dealers offering dozens. I guess guys are sitting on those plain caps these days.

As the saying goes, I have no dog in this fight. I don't collect these and don't have any for sale. I am only mentioning what I saw back in they day which doesn't square with today. Same with SS stuff. Very rare in the 70's, now everywhere.

Reproducers have been hard at it since the 50's. And yet hundreds of these caps with satouche were recovered back then but only sold in the last few years?
    W. Unland
    I am sorry that your memory of the 70s doesn't square with mine, but I assure you that when these caps arrived here from Italy in the late 70s there were soutaches of every color on overseas caps and as Tim OK mentioned there were a small percentage of soutached billed field caps which were snapped up quickly. The principle makers were Hans Brandt, E.Weissbach (Glauchau), and Clemens Wagner (the non- soutached caps were slow movers).
    Many of the ones you are seeing on dealer's sites now are from this same hoard.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
      I am sorry that your memory of the 70s doesn't square with mine, but I assure you that when these caps arrived here from Italy in the late 70s there were soutaches of every color on overseas caps and as Tim OK mentioned there were a small percentage of soutached billed field caps which were snapped up quickly. The principle makers were Hans Brandt, E.Weissbach (Glauchau), and Clemens Wagner (the non- soutached caps were slow movers).
      Have to agree with OSS, well remember the soutached caps surfacing in the 1970s. Perhaps the difference in perspective on the 70s is a result of different exposure from attending different shows and the wares of different dealers.
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

To the point of what is seen during the years, while I was hopping back and forth between coasts during the 80s&90s I would find that what was available and collected on the west coast was different. then the east coast. I was sometimes asked to bring items back and forth because they weren't available on said coast. What amazed me was the cost difference between coasts.The internet has changed that thou.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post

That is jogging my memory--Italy is where they were found. But it wasn't just Schiffchens--I am positive there were truckloads of felt pith helmets there as well.
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by John Walker View Post
            I would find that what was available and collected on the west coast was different. then the east coast.
            It is still the same today......
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I had several plain 55 caps in the mid 80s ........they were 75 GBP .

Comment

The following photos are posted as a favor for another member.
                Attached Files
                Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Last one
                  Attached Files
                  Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X