Water Customs cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Customs cap

I have been offered a cap, but have not yet had a chance to give it a proper examination.The top is of a slightly pale green and the band is dark green. It has a black vulcanfibre peak/visor and twisted siver and green cords. The top is piped in silver, but white piping around the band. The side buttons are gilt metal, with an anchor and the insignia is stamped gilt metal, an eagle and wreath as normal. I have not examined the lining or maker marks. It was suggested that it was for an inland waterways Customs officer.Does this sound right, and is it a commonly found item?If so, does it have a commercial value? This is outside my normal collecting field, but genuine pieces keep on getting harder to find, even here in Normandy. Thank you for your attention. Kerry.

I need a pic, but it sounds like some sort of Postwar BRD police cap.

Water Customs were piped in blue. I have yet to see an original one, or even one worn in a picture.
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks stonemint, I will chase it up tomorrow if I can.

Comment

Here is a water customs white-top from the French book. I cannot vouch for it, however:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Not great quality I am afraid, I had to take the pictures in a Depot Vente, a secondhand shop, after the owner had sent it to sell there.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looking at it again, the eagle and wreath are the wrong form for customs, so probably a put together cap? Here is a shaky side view.
            Attached Files

Comment

The piping is silver all over, not white as I first thought. Inside.
              Attached Files

Comment

With the sweatband raised.
                Attached Files

Comment

And the last one I managed to get. I see that the visor does appear to have been re-stitched, which I did not notice "in hand".
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think Landesbeschafftungstelle has something to to with the police, so I think you may be right, BRD police confection? Strange set of insignia to add, but maybe all they had to hand for a theatrical cap?

Comment

Yes, a postwar cap for the Baden-Wurttemberg Polizei that has been rebadged to make it look like something else. Not a wartime cap.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X