German Hunting Slouch Hat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Hunting Slouch Hat??

Heres one for ya!! This hat had been decorated with WWI, WWII and USMC pins and they had been there for a long time. I have never seen this hat before but believe its German. Why the large gromments in sides??
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last

The saftey pin was under the sweatband. I left it and dont know why it is there. Any help much appreciated.
            Attached Files

Comment

?

nobody?

Comment

Originally posted by clestuff View Post
                Still hoping to get a clue on this one. Is the saftey pin German?

Comment

I, at last got a chance to research this hat. I thought I would shair my findings. This is not a German hat at all. This is a rare m1889 US Army Cavalry campaign hat. It is much like the M1883. Thease wre worn by Roosevelts Rough Riders!!

I studied Howells Smithsonian book. This is one of 1000 hats orderd by the war department for use in Cuba. It was to have a version of the Bracher ventelators on the sides. Thease were covered in a wire mesh [missing on this example] and mostly phased out in 1884. This version was brought back [but larger] for use in the hot weather in Cuba. The number "5" under the sweatband is a number code used by the army for a size 7 1/4" hat, which this is.

Moderator, if you would, please move this tread to the US section.

Thanks, Cliff

Comment

Maybe it was a USMC lifers memory of his service cap..used before and in span am war..Billbert
                    whoops if it was...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X