No announcement yet.

Please show your Tropical caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While LW visored caps can be tricky these are both fake.

But thanks for bringing this great thread back up again

Comment

Tim O'Keefe,
      Thank you for the confirmation. However I am still keen to know the obvious tell-tales displayed. Clearly I do not ask for any subtle clues, which would be of help to current or future fakers, just the "broad brush" features which could aid me, and others, in identifying the fakes. These have obviously been faked for many years, the two caps came to me by circuitous means at least 20, but possibly many more, years ago.
      Thanks again for your input,
      Kerry.

Comment

Hi Kerry

The answers you seek are right here in this thread. Study this very informative thread and should be read from the begining... For the Herr M40 read Ralph's comments, and for the LW look to John H, & Gustav43.

Quick answer, grommets, construction, insignia etc

with kind regards
        Tim
        Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 11-17-2017, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Kerryboo, I wouldn’t diss these too quickly. Go up to the pinned thread by John Hodgin on Luftwaffe M41 caps and have a look. They may be toughest of the trop caps to verify. I see things in your 2 examples that may give them hope. Spend time to seek out period pix of what the Luft guys wore and you will be amazed at the non reg variety that was possible. They had no official factory made M41 style cap so that means it was up to individual soldiers to outfit themselves with any kind of visored cap they could get or have made. Without having your 2 in hand it is an almost impossible call to make..... in my opinion.

Robt.

Comment

Robert,

Thank you also.

I realise that I have a lot of study to do and that opinions can vary greatly. Sadly my area is primarily vehicle photos with an old secondary collection of field gear, headgear is way out of my comfort zone.

You have given me food for thought, and, perhaps a small headache! (No disrespect intended.)

Once more, thank you.

Regards,
            Kerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Gustav 43 View Post
              hi,this is a fake cap for me....the backing of the eagle is of the same material as is the cap which is big red flag for me as 99% of these LW caps are field made,the eagle is fake too...
              Sorry Kerry but I have to agree with Gustav.
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hello John,
                I was expecting that answer, it is kind of you to take the time. Do you think the same is true of both caps? I acquired them purely to top off a mannequin or two on which I had field equipment, so for that purpose they were good enough, and, at the time, cheap enough.
                Thank you and best regards,
                Kerry.

Comment

Permit me a stupid question: did the six or seven M40 tropical cap makers (relatives of the very first lot of caps), produced also the first lot of the side caps?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ciavaglia View Post
                    Permit me a stupid question: did the six or seven M40 tropical cap makers (relatives of the very first lot of caps), produced also the first lot of the side caps?
                    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ciavaglia View Post
                      No, only 4 of the first 6 M40 tropical cap makers produced the first tropical side caps.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gibson View Post
                        No, only 4 of the first 6 M40 tropical cap makers produced the first tropical side caps.

Mark
                        Then that would be a yes

Comment

Thank you Mark

Comment

Field produced Luft M41 with tropical shirt eagle; the cockade is obviously hand sewn. Not too dis-similar to the lower cap in post 114 and the upper cap in post 115. Thanks again Gustav for posting such excellent period photos.
                            Attached Files
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

M40 Felix Weissbach E41

Just pulling this thread back up with a new M40 cap addition - a Felix Weissbach E41.

A few more pictures here:-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1016832

Adding it to my Kriegsmarine M41 "HPC" (post # 123) already shown on this thread.

I will also link 2 similar threads here, both well worth a look:-

"Can anyone post DAK field caps?"

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=173621

and "DAK & TROPICAL HEADGEAR"

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=88249

Hopefully there will be more caps to be added in the future!

Regards, Paul
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X