Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M40 Cap

Hi Guys
    I would like to share some pics of the latest addition to my collection. The cap is well-worn, has reinforcement around the bill and insignia seems to be originally applied. The cocarde is machine stitched and the eagle has been applied by hand. The ink stamp inside says 'Alfred Valet' and is dated 1942. It has a great 'been there' look to it
    Barry
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Last pics. Thanks for looking
        Barry
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice cap Barry but I do believe that the insignia may have been reapplied by hand.
          I've still got the original sellers pics and it appears that way from those photos.
          This isn't the first valet that I've seen with repairs to the visor. I currently have a POW example with similar repairs.

Mark

Comment

Re-applied insignia, agree with Mark.The visor has been saved from falling off. Also the washers on the grommets are applied backwords, which is a good thing from this maker. Nice salvaged & restored POW cap.

Comment

Here is my POW example with repaired visor, also an Alfred Valet.

Mark
              Attached Files

Comment

Barry,

awesome Valet cap. Very interesting to see with Mark's example how the wear patterns are so similar with these two caps. Obviously they had a problem with the stitching getting weak and the bill wanting to come off. On my Valet cap the visor isn't sewn all that great to the body of the cap either. Matt

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys I compared the cap to this one when looking at the insignia-

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ighlight=Valet

where it was believed the the insignia was originally applied. Although there was not makers mark present it was believed to be a Valet. My example has the same 2 distinct folds in the cocarde where the edges of the material is folded over the stithing on 2 sides. I lifted the edges and the stitcging can be seen underneath.

As for the eagle is is hard to tell from the pic on the other thread but there does seem to be some similarlities when looking at the top thread. Some pictures have been removed so if someone has a frontal shot of the insignia please post it.

Here is a closer look at the cocarde and eagle on my cap. Reaplied or not I am happy with this one as it is now the 'saltiest' cap in my collection

Barry
                  Attached Files

Comment

With respect, I have to agree with Barry on this one. The sewing of the cockade is a match for the cap seen on the other thread - and the eagle is applied in the same sloppy manner. I have (& had) m40's with eagles period applied with far less 'care' & flare than these two...
                    Regards,
                    Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

NZMark-Thanks for the photo comparison. To me the insignia application looks the same on the 2 caps.

Matt-please feel free to post some pictures of your Valet. I would like to see another one to compare against the ones already posted and it would be great to have them all on the same thread for reference

MarkG-very interesting to see the similarities between the caps especially the front bill and how it wants to seperate from the cap body as well as the folds on the front peak of the cap. Thanks for showing your example.

Barry

Comment

Similar application but a very marked difference, especially the use of thread not found on any other part of the cap. Quite unusual for 'this' maker.

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,
                          The use of different thread on caps to body construction is something we've all seen, so this certainly isn't a point again'st originality of application. I note that the thread used to apply the insignia on your stripped example is a deep ochre/olive whereas the cap is constructed from olive thread.
                          As for a marked difference in the two caps' method of insignia sewing, I just don't see it from these images. I'd need to handle the cap to be convinced otherwise.
                          Regards,
                          Mark

Comment

Barry,

mine has had the insignia reattached but here it is. Mine is an unmarked one that Mark G has helped identify it as a Valet cap. It used to have a signal soutache and I didn't realize it until it was pointed out by Mark G and Mark T. Matt
                            Attached Files

Comment

seam splitting in the back.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X