Fur hat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fur hat question

My next purchase will be a winter fur cap. I have little experiance with this item and have not seen much posted. Are these commonly faked, what should I look for in an original. How is the eagle normally attached I have seen them tied on, also any info on maker marks.
    Thanks in advance, Fletch

Up until fairly recently, they weren't being faked at all as the market demand for fur caps was low which kept prices for originals pretty low. I bought my first one back in the late 70's for a whopping $12.50.

I was quite surprised recently when someone pointed out that these are indeed being cranked out now for the reenactor market...which means that they will eventaully be offered to unwary collectors as originals.

Paul

Comment

Paul is correct and I have seen some fakes that are quite good.

Eagles and their attachment varies.

I've seen metal visor cap eagles attached by their prongs, and breast eagles hand stitched on. Both war time applied.

As for makers, I've seen mostly RBN #'d examples.
      HC

Comment

They are out there, dont be fooled a lot are in mint condition too! Why i dont know. I picked up a Police one with a heer eagle for 100 and then a vet acquired heer which is way less then mint for 100. They are still cheep, and they are all over the place. The police is dated 44 and the Heer is 43.

Comment

Thanks for the response what should I look for, i have seen dealer prices from 275-400

Comment

what kind of winter fur are you after ie luftwaffe, heer etc as their are some good ones at good prices that will not hurt the wallet on here for sale from time to time like the one i bought from here,
            cheers-pablo

Comment

If you do a check on the forum I did a thread on fur hats that should help you out.It hs many pics, etc.

Enjoy your hobby
              Dennis J

Comment

I think you could find one for $200-$250.

Check the condition of the fur. Make sure it is not falling out. Check the tie strings to make sure they are firmly attached or if they have been resewn. Check how well the front flap is attached to the cap body. They are sometimes completely loose, or hanging by a thread.
                HC

Comment

I agree with the suggestions thus far. Nice ones turn up on the forum's eStand at around the prices stated above.

I guess pelzmützen have lagged behind other headgear because they may not be perceived as "sexy" as visors, helmets and side caps. They also might look too "Russian" for some people's taste. At any rate, I think they remain one of the few relative bargains in German combat clothing.

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X