Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railway Visor?

Hey Lads,

Got this Visor today, it appears to be a railway visor cap, However the eagle is Silver and it has never had a cockade attached to the black. The Visor is in great shape. The Liner is a type of oil cloth. The Diamond is made of cell. It appears to be a nice cap, but I haven't seen one with just the Silver Eagle, and no cockade. Maybe a female visor, it is quite small sz 52.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

The Eagle is RZM marked however I can not make it out without detaching it. Brim shows honest wear from the front strap. Sorry that picture is pretty bad.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by moonstomp; 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM. Reason: Crappy picture

Comment

Looks like it may have had the large "winged wheel"....looks like I can see evidence of pin holes (though you'd think the band would show more evidence). As far as the eagle goes....it could easily have been gilt but has lost all it's finish (and very late war were issued in the "gray"....without any finish at all)...

The large winged wheel device pins would be 2 or 3 inches each side of the center line (and up alittle)....

Reichsbahn could have metal or bevo winged wheels, just a cockade, and sometimes nothing on the band (Foreign Railroad Employees wouldn't wear the German National cockade)....of course, they wouldn't normally wear the visor hat either!

The hat certainly is period however! It could easily be unissued and someone added the eagle, too! (another possibility)
        John G.

Comment

Piping looks almost carmine in the pics. If carmine, it is for the Fire Service.

If red, it is Reichsbahn. This would be the M-41 model, and you will need to find a metal winged-wheel.
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

BTW, the hat is a 100% original Bangert.
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Wow this is great news, i bought it in a Online auction. However the seller offered a unconditional 100% money return. I got it for dirt cheep. After inspecting the visor underneath the liner, it is clear to see that there are pinholes in the visor about 3" apart. The piping is defiantly red. So my next question would be, to find the cockade and add it, or would it be frowned upon as non original to the hat, I have just recently got into collecting cloth headgear so excuse my novice questions. With helmets I leave them as is always.

Comment

Add the winged wreath. Mint ones are next to impossible to find, as most are made of zinc and have turned gray. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Chekc the dealer sites as well.
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Well i think a Faded one would look good on this visor, seeing that the Eagle has loss all glit or was issued just a plain jane.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with restoring a hat as long as it's done correctly and you're not making it into something it never was.....this hat is crying for correct restoration....

Most original "winged wheel" hat devices are in zinc, and have lost most or all of thier original gilt finish.....(just what you need)....however, won't be "easy" finding one nowadays (I see them occassionally....usually $65. to $125.00 range (especially when you "need" one)....

Good luck.
                    John G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X