Just a cap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a cap question

I was wondering, during the war was it common for German troops to get headgear made in the Occupied Countries? For that matter uniforms also? I saw different things from Italy but what about say Holland, Norway, or maybe Poland among others. Just wondering Thanks Mike

Absolutely. Besides uniforms and headgear converted for issue to German troops, tailors in occupied countries were available to create privately tailored uniforms and headgear for the occupying force with extra money to burn. These were usually walking-out uniforms with distinctly local interpretations of German uniforms and insignia. I prefer German made clothing, but find the locally made stuff interesting. I have a Czech made Luftwaffe signals cap as an example.

How common was it? That is rather subjective I suppose.

Paul

Comment

Salut,

Countries like Poland and Czeskoslovakia are slightly different as they were actually part of the Greater-Reich .
      As for merely occupied countries, like France they produced a lot for the German forces .
      If you were to collect Kriegsmarine you'd encounter a large number of Uniforms and headgears large-scale produced by French companies and of course on a smaller scale some procured as private purchases from local chapeliers and tailors .

Comment

I've personally seen some Dutch and Norwegian made German headgear and there certainly were lots of tunics tailored in the occupied territories. I find this topic very interesting and started a thread on foreign made uniforms a while ago if you want to check it out: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+collaboration

There also is a thread here in the headgear forum on Dutch made headgear. Do a search on "Breda". Hope that helps... Kurt

Comment

Wow love some of those hats and uniforms. Thanks for the help guys just trying to learn and get more serious on headgear. Really appreciate all your help Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X