Here you go Tim.

Both of these CW caps are on the Duck.

Jerry
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jerry

Thanks for posting the additional pic. All looks good to me

Comment

From the pictures, I’d be willing to believe that eagle is Original to that transport hat before I’d believe that soutache is Original to that Pz example.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Here is a nice bundle of CW Panzer overseas at the bottom of this page.

http://www.italianwarfront.com/?page_id=9

Glenn
          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post

Glenn
            Hi Glenn,

I noticed those the other day and very nice they look, but the temptation to pull one out for display would be nearly impossible to resist

And I don't have the money

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
              From the pictures, I’d be willing to believe that eagle is Original to that transport hat before I’d believe that soutache is Original to that Pz example.

B. N. Singer
              Hi Bryon,

I can't make out the date clearly, but Jan 43 seems most likely, so it should not have a soutache, IMO (and in yours, obviously).

Jerry
              Attached Files
              Last edited by VonBond; 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post

Glenn
                this " 6 pack " comes from a group of 300 sidecaps found in the 80'/90' ... and is where my Transport come from ... is maybe possible that CW used a darker thread for the eagle ? not questioning your opinion but what if all CW's Transport ( when I picked up mine there was a bundle of 10 and several single ) have the same thread ?

Comment

Hi Jerry

Your Pz cap does not have the standard CW oval stamp. It has the Braunschweig only (Hamburg is missing). Some collectors do not like these caps and have labled them as fake. Which is why its eagle application is slightly different compared to the Hamburg variety. There were two locations of CW factorys, The larger one in Braunschweig, the branch factory in Hamburg.
                  Must also be careful of the date stamp sometimes, some items may have a date stamp but were produced earlier. Though agree with You & Bryon that a Jan '43 cap normally would not have a soutache or even a makers mark. Though some makers were much slower at converting over to the rb#'s.

Hi Glenn

Thats a great offer Giorgio has. Several collectors still have these caps in these bundles, would be too tempted to open them myself. Great photo, thanks.

Have You or Bryon ever seen a used tropical CW sidecap which you considered good ?

Comment

can someone tell me more about this mark ? is my Infantry ... how can I know the date ? and what about the name of the manifacturer ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

still waiting ..

Comment

Landes-Lief-Genossenschaft (or LAGO) basically "National Supply Co-operative." These were groups of small manufacturers who combined their skills to bid for Government contracts to compete with larger firms.
                        The stamp shown is a of a generic form - and varying manufacturer details can be found on other caps....
                        Mark.

Comment

grazie Mark , how is collectors point of view about LAGO ? I am wondering if is less interesting compared with other manifacturers ... I have seen on a site 2 mint sidecaps with same waffenfarbe and LAGO's was the cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by PAOLORUBENS View Post
                            grazie Mark , how is collectors point of view about LAGO ? I am wondering if is less interesting compared with other manifacturers ... I have seen on a site 2 mint sidecaps with same waffenfarbe and LAGO's was the cheaper
                            Paolo,
                            Actually a very good point.
                            I can only speak personally, but I have no bias in favour of more commonly known manufacturer over a 'LAGO' manufactured cap. In many cases the smaller cap maker's work was superior to the larger factory produced example due to slower work rate and a higher standard of finish. Also this is where variances creep in from the more 'generic' manufactured caps, (both m40's and sidecaps) so adds interest from a collectors perspective.
                            Regards,
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
                              Paolo,
                              Actually a very good point.
                              I can only speak personally, but I have no bias in favour of more commonly known manufacturer over a 'LAGO' manufactured cap. In many cases the smaller cap maker's work was superior to the larger factory produced example due to slower work rate and a higher standard of finish. Also this is where variances creep in from the more 'generic' manufactured caps, (both m40's and sidecaps) so adds interest from a collectors perspective.
                              Regards,
                              Mark
                              grazie again Mark
                              seems I am growing a little bit ... I was really liking my LAGO and being a INF makes him a little bit more precious ( even if is a " not being there " ) , is different and more accurated , if after those hard " taxes " days I will find some founds I will go for what I've seen in the site

Comment

There is a very strong case that the 2 grommet sidecaps with Panzer Grenadier soutache like the one shown in this thread and pictured below are indeed made by Clemans Wagner

If not made by CW themselves then by a subcontractor using sewing machines and materials supplied by CW. Everything is a match with a CW cap except the type of grommets used and possibly the earlier model of eagle (see post number 26 to 28 for individual photos). Even the font of the size "57" stamp matches.

Probably better described as "tropical" side-caps rather than "DAK",

Chris
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 90th Light; 05-20-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X