Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Wartime Maker?

Hello,

I have a Luftwaffe NCO flight visor with the maker's name on the inner liner "Gebr. Alm". Can anyone tell me anything about "Gebr. Alm"? Are they common and are they still in business?

Thanks!

Not sure if they are still around but here is the address I have for them
    Gebruder ALM: BERLIN Kreuzbergstr. 30

Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt. I was not sure what Gebr meant...not speaking German and all. Do you know if this was a common maker of visors?

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Bluethunder View Post
        Thanks Matt. I was not sure what Gebr meant...not speaking German and all. Do you know if this was a common maker of visors?

Tony
        Tony, It seems this maker is often seen in Luft caps if I'm not mistaken. I hope that helps.

Matt

Comment

Hallo bluethunder

Just a recollection of some information:

“ The Wilkins book has a short one-page listing for them. The company was owned by the brothers Otto and Wilhelm Alm and was founded in 1918 in Schoeneberg but relocated by 1937 to Berlin. No descendent company exists to this day”, courtesy of Paul McKee on 05.15.2007;

See also the thread “LW Signals EM cap”, by MattS on 06.06.2007;

“ Otto and Wilhelm ALM established their company in 1918 in Tempelhof-Schoneberg, Brunhildstrasse 5; from 1937 in Kreuzbergstrasse 30 (not far from their former address) and finally from 1939 in Berlin-Mitte, Munzstrasse 15. I've searched my files and I've found only an handful of LW visors: all were enlisted contract caps, made in 1937 and 1938. The company's full logo says Uniform-Mutzen-Fabrik; consequently I think they also produced LW uniforms ,overseas caps, pith helmets and so on. A last curiosity: there is an Otto ALM, born in Wormdist on 06.21.1877, dead on 03.09.1944 in Berlin and buried in the cemetery of Schoneberg (block 2, reihe 32, grab 2). Maybe the same Otto or a member of his family at least? I don't know”, courtesy of me on 10.30.2008;

best regards
          Last edited by enorepap; 01-26-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the Great Information!

The cap will be worked on by BenVK in England...the cap is in very good condition, no moths and complete sweatband and liner...but the visor fell off from sitting in a box so long. It has the yellow pipping for the flight personnel. As soon as I get it back from Ben, I'll post pics so everyone can check it out.

Enorepap, I looked at quite a few LW visor caps online and numerous militaria sites and I think I only saw another with the Gebr. Alm maker. Judging from your experience, would you say these caps are scarce?

Comment

Scarce..no..a little more uncommon..probably..JMHO Billbert

Comment

I agree with Billbert. Quite uncommon, in my opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X