Bayerische Mützenfabrik question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayerische Mützenfabrik question

In trolling around the net looking for info on Bergmützen, I came across this statement on a different site:

"caps made by Bayerische Mutzenfabrik Wilhelm Schreiber and looks like ALL Wartime products were either stamped"BAMUFA" or Bayerische Mutzenfabrik (no dash) Wilhelm Schreiber,and also loks like Schreiber only produced Schirmutzen and that exclusively gray soft leather sweatsband."

Is this statement correct? I ask because there are two sidecaps on this site (one panzer and on feldgaru) which bear stampings for this company but the hyphen appears in the name Bayerische Mützen-Fabrik.

Here is the WH cap:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...m%FCtzenfabrik

and the Panzer:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...m%FCtzenfabrik

The statement was contained in a discussion about a very correct-looking Bergmütze which was thought to be a very high-end fake -- i.e. far beyond the usual M-43 with short visor types.
    http://warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-head...-marked-20580/
    Last edited by SprogCollector; 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM.

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post
    I
    "caps made by Bayerische Mutzenfabrik Wilhelm Schreiber and looks like ALL Wartime products were either stamped"BAMUFA" or Bayerische Mutzenfabrik (no dash) Wilhelm Schreiber,and also loks like Schreiber only produced Schirmutzen and that exclusively gray soft leather sweatsband."

Is this statement correct? [/URL]
    No it isnt. Wilhelm Schreiber produced side caps as well. Here are the infos which a fellow collector provided me to W.S.:

"Bayerische Mützenfabrik Wilhelm Schreiber was in existence at least from 1938 (registered in the Munich Handelsregister 31 March 1938). Address was München, Goethestr. 34/3. It has been confirmed as an advertiser in Uniformen Markt during the war.
    The owbers were Wilhelm Schreiber, Anton Bippi (31 March 1939) and Heinz Bippi after the war ffrom 1948 at least when the company's name changed to Bavarian Business Clothing and Cap Factory Wilhelm Schreiber. It also had a trade name of BAMüFA during the war.
    The company probably went out of business by 22 March 1955 as it was no longer qualified to be listed in the register. "

here is another W.S. stamp (side cap feldgrau):
    Attached Files

Comment

I've got a Bergmütze made by the same maker, but can't discern the stamps properly as they were long gone.
      I am attaching a file picture of the stamps (sorry this is the best I could do).
      I can't tell you for sure if mine comes with dash or without.
      Attached Files

Comment

Gents,
        Thanks for your comments. The comments about the company only making visor caps and not having a hyphenated company name really had me thinking.

Comment

Was the use of the "M" stamp on early Bermützen applied at the factory or upon receipt at a depot?

My frame of reference is British kit whereby a makers label is present and typically has the year of manufacture. In the British system, the garment later receives an additional stamping as it is accepted into inventory -- e.g. it's very common to see a battledress blouse made in 1942 showing an acceptance stamp onto inventory in the same, or often subsequent, years.

My question is aimed toward Bermützen and the "M" present on early war caps -- typically in conjunction with cap size and, presumably, year of manufacture. For example:

Georg Teufel Sohn
          Tuttlingen
          55 M 39

In this example, it appears as a single stamping and not a series of separate stamps for size, year, depot, etc.

In looking at different caps by the same maker, the "M" is missing and the format is slightly different -- e.g. the company name, size, and year are all separate stamps:
          Georg Teufel Sohn
          Tuttlingen

Were the early caps possibly contracted out by the depots? I'm trying to understand why these depot stamps are present on just the Bergmütze?

Along the same lines, other Bergmützen seem to not have the "M" at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post
            Was the use of the "M" stamp on early Bermützen applied at the factory or upon receipt at a depot?

My frame of reference is British kit whereby a makers label is present and typically has the year of manufacture. In the British system, the garment later receives an additional stamping as it is accepted into inventory -- e.g. it's very common to see a battledress blouse made in 1942 showing an acceptance stamp onto inventory in the same, or often subsequent, years.

My question is aimed toward Bermützen and the "M" present on early war caps -- typically in conjunction with cap size and, presumably, year of manufacture. For example:

Georg Teufel Sohn
            Tuttlingen
            55 M 39

In this example, it appears as a single stamping and not a series of separate stamps for size, year, depot, etc.

In looking at different caps by the same maker, the "M" is missing and the format is slightly different -- e.g. the company name, size, and year are all separate stamps:
            Georg Teufel Sohn
            Tuttlingen

Were the early caps possibly contracted out by the depots? I'm trying to understand why these depot stamps are present on just the Bergmütze?

Along the same lines, other Bergmützen seem to not have the "M" at all.
            good question and interesting subject as well
            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Interesting thread! Hope this picture is of helpful.

Klaus

Comment

Depot Stamps for contracts... Billbert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X