Well-worn Heer M43 cap for opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well-worn Heer M43 cap for opinions please

This is a well-worn cap with what I would call typical late-war materials. Any markings that might have been stamped inside are long gone. I believe it is an original hat with a factory applied trapezoid, which also shows a lot of wear. I am not an expert in cloth headgear and have a hard time judging M43 caps in particular. I would appreciate any opinions or comments on this cap.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The cardboard bill stiffener has broken up inside.
          Attached Files

Comment

These are all the pictures I have. Thanks in advance for any comments.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm in love with it.....

alessio

Comment

original cap, not sure if insignia is period applied would have to check it out in hand to be sure ,was the liner opened in this area to reapply insignia ? hard to say from pics
                Attached Files
                Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

I agree, an original cap but check the liner if has been oppened as Lenny pointed out.

Comment

I would say the trapazoid is the original factory machine sewing.

Glenn
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the help very much. In the area that Lenny has pointed out, it looks like the liner came loose and then was simply tacked back into place. To me it looks like a field repair that is consistent with the overall heavy wear and specifically the wear and soiling in the forehead area. I might suspect that someone attempting to replace the insignia and make it look factory applied might have paid attention to trying to make it look less obvious that the liner had been opened. I understand that because the factory stitching is disturbed in this area it may be impossible to say with absolute certainty that the insignia was applied at the factory but I have scrutinized this application and believe that the thread used is the same as some of the thread used on the cap body and the stitches themselves even look the same. The wear to the insignia also looks consistent with the cap, there is no evidence of previous insignia, and the insignia is well settled in. In hand the trapezoid really looks like it has been there forever. In any event I am really pleased that the cap itself has gotten positive reviews as that was my main concern. This is the condition that I like (obviously worn and used) and I am happy to have this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                        Thanks for the comments, I appreciate the help very much. In the area that Lenny has pointed out, it looks like the liner came loose and then was simply tacked back into place. To me it looks like a field repair that is consistent with the overall heavy wear and specifically the wear and soiling in the forehead area. I might suspect that someone attempting to replace the insignia and make it look factory applied might have paid attention to trying to make it look less obvious that the liner had been opened. I understand that because the factory stitching is disturbed in this area it may be impossible to say with absolute certainty that the insignia was applied at the factory but I have scrutinized this application and believe that the thread used is the same as some of the thread used on the cap body and the stitches themselves even look the same. The wear to the insignia also looks consistent with the cap, there is no evidence of previous insignia, and the insignia is well settled in. In hand the trapezoid really looks like it has been there forever. In any event I am really pleased that the cap itself has gotten positive reviews as that was my main concern. This is the condition that I like (obviously worn and used) and I am happy to have this.
                        well done then Chris congrats on a nice combat vet
                        Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                        teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X