BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of headgear are these guys wearing in Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of headgear are these guys wearing in Africa?

Wanted to get some comments on these caps/hats w/shields which the two German soldiers in the middle are wearing. I was told by the veteran that these are arab volunteers surrounding the three Germans. The two caps look sort of like fezes? The German in the front seems to also be sporting a 2nd pattern tropical tunic. The arabs are wearing what I think are french overcoats which i have seen in pics of the Free Arabia legion in Tunisia. Any comments are welcolmed.
    Attached Files

I would agree. Similar fezes were worn by Arabs allied with the Italians.
    Even more imteresting is the Zuove style jacket/vest worn by the rightside DAK soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by iac View Post
      I would agree. Similar fezes were worn by Arabs allied with the Italians.
      Even more imteresting is the Zuove style jacket/vest worn by the rightside DAK soldier.
      Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I always associated the wearing of fezes by German forces to be the trademark of SS Muslim volunteers from southern and eastern Europe but the veteran only saw service in Africa where he took this photo. Does that mean that these two German soldiers were practicing Muslims, or just showing solidarity with their Arab comrades in arms by wearing fezes? Any idea what the shield is on them? Thanks.

Comment

They look like maroon fezes as worn by Italo-Lybian Colonial Troops. The German wearing it would be just doing it for the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
          They look like maroon fezes as worn by Italo-Lybian Colonial Troops. The German wearing it would be just doing it for the photo.
          Thank you Dennis for this information. Perhaps someone on the WAF recognizes the emblem on the fezes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
            Agree. I think it might be french colonial troops. Those soliers with feez have french overcoats, french ammo pouhces and I suspect to have lebel carabines.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X