SS Panzer M43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Panzer M43

Gents, here is what appears to be a very late war M43 Panzer EM cap. No providence.

The wool is the fine thin stuff found on the Dachau-type black ones. The trap is straight-stitched on. No markings but the single size markings.

One encouraging aspect of this cap are the shortcuts used in manufacturing. It has the side-panels of the silver-grey HBT lining material stiched together like is sometimes seen on the interior panels of the late M44 tunics, so there are multiple pieces used to create the inner band that the top panel is stitched to.. The pulldowns are a slightly different shade of HBT and are sewn into the hemmed portion of the flap, not through to the outside. The buttons are black-treated.

Any brave souls want to tackle another M43?

regards, Robert
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RobertE; 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

A reproduction.(for me anyway)

Glenn
          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Dachau pirate trap on a cap with a fully cloth peak ? Not for me thanks.

Ian

Comment

imo a bad repro not even close to a so called Dachau cap
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Thanks fellows, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I considered your observations, and ask you to consider the following:

1. This isn't a Dachau black M43, and wasn't presented as such. It does have the same fine wool, but there was a transition from the mid-war M43's to the Dachau types - they just didn't start using a completely different manufacturing style (Dachau features) and materials (exposed cardboard bill, "textbook" Dachau wool) overnight.

2. The trap isn't a pirate type. It was used on plenty of non-Dachau caps.

3. It should be examined on it's own merits as a NON-Dachau cap. It has an original embroidered trap, the wool and buttons are proper, the liner material is the silvery grey type and is certainly wartime, and the style of the cap is dead-on.

If anyone is more comfortable PMing me on specific details, pls send them. I know some people don't like long - or short - pull downs, dark tan scallop bias tape, and other pet features. I'd be very interested in what details give pause on this cap.

Thanks again for the observations - and to clarify, look at this as what it is: NOT a Dachau or wanna-be Dachau cap.

s/f Robert

Comment

M43 Dachau

If I didn't read Robert's description, from the pictures I see little resemblance to the Dachau M43.The trap. is better defined than the Dachau style IMO.

The cap shares several features I personally don't care for.
                  __________________________________________________ __________
                  Cheers Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve,

Looks like I shouldn't have mentioned this cap is made from Dachau-type wool. It is. But I'm not saying it's a Dachau-cap - far from it.

I think (if original) it would have been produced at the end of the war, based on the pieced together liner which is a PLUS on late-war tunics.

Thanks for the side-by-side TRAP comparison, which well illustrates that the trap is not of the pirate variety.

Still standing by for specifics. Don't worry, I'm not going to divulge your "identifiers" to the fakers, and feel free to PM.

s/f Robert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X