Original vet bringback Waffen SS Sidecap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original vet bringback Waffen SS Sidecap

What is a original Waffen SS grey green wool EM early cotton lined side cap going for these days? I recently looked at a veteran aquired and is 100% original.

One dealer just listed this one for $2750.
    Attached Files

Comment

karl is correct, there was one that went for around that exact same price on the Guild about six months ago, it was there for the longest time, nice size 60 with a RB#. But once it dropped to 2700, it was quickly snatched up.

Comment

Nice find!

Comment

SS Sidecap

The insignia was replaced on this cap, according to his website. I missed this one by a few hours, so I got the other one he had that was $2495 (also with replaced insignia). The eagle's body and swastika are almost completely obliterated, so I will replace it, and maybe the skull as well. By the time another cap comes along that is better, the price will probably have skyrocketed. I bought an SS "Dachau" style Panzer M-43 cap from Bill Shea for $1800 a few years ago, and the very next one he had jumped over $600 as I recall. Get 'em while you can. They're sure to go up.

Comment

Do what you want since its yours BUT that bevo insignia wear is almost ALWAYS good period hard service/combat wear... kinda destroying good history.. IMO Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
              The insignia was replaced on this cap, according to his website. I missed this one by a few hours, so I got the other one he had that was $2495 (also with replaced insignia). The eagle's body and swastika are almost completely obliterated, so I will replace it, and maybe the skull as well. By the time another cap comes along that is better, the price will probably have skyrocketed. I bought an SS "Dachau" style Panzer M-43 cap from Bill Shea for $1800 a few years ago, and the very next one he had jumped over $600 as I recall. Get 'em while you can. They're sure to go up.
              Posting photos for sgstandard
              Attached Files

Comment

insignia
                Attached Files

Comment

Cap

KARL S. - Thanks for posting! BILLBERT - I'm totally with you concerning combat wear. If the insignia were original to the cap, I wouldn't DREAM of doing such a thing. Unfortunately, when a skull is hurredly ripped off a cap, it's often stretched and/or torn, and always seems to look that way. I'm confident that I can make the skull look a lot better, so it will most likely stay. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Hallo sgstandard

Very nice schiffchen

In your place, I'll keep the original insignias.

This is just my opinion, of course!

Here is its twin:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...pap+SS&page=10

best regards

Comment

Cap

Hey - THANKS for the excellent photos and advice. WONDERFUL caps there. Interestingly, after analyizing more, the EAGLE on my cap actually more shows honest heavy wear. The skull looks more like it was ripped from a cap. The main problem with the skull, was, when it was sewn to this cap, it was sewn on "stretched-out", instead of trying to have the skull's border mimic where it would have originally been. Do you think the 2 insignias match each other in amount of wear? Thanks very much for all your input.

Comment

IMO the skull wear you describe MIGHT be caused by wearing the cap with the helmet on top (ie for warmth)..So MAYBE that cap spent many a night on the russain front just stayin alive for the next day... Billbert

Comment

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                          Hey - THANKS for the excellent photos and advice. WONDERFUL caps there. Interestingly, after analyizing more, the EAGLE on my cap actually more shows honest heavy wear. The skull looks more like it was ripped from a cap. The main problem with the skull, was, when it was sewn to this cap, it was sewn on "stretched-out", instead of trying to have the skull's border mimic where it would have originally been. Do you think the 2 insignias match each other in amount of wear? Thanks very much for all your input.
                          All looks original to me and the badges match the amount of wear on the cap plus the amount of wear to each other. I have seen more than one combat worn with badges in that condition over the years.

A "salty dog" I would not be touching those badges.

Hard to find a real one with real wear like that. If it was me, I would keep that one the way it is and try and find another in the better condition that you are seeking. That way you can have two and when you collect these two is always better than one or then sell the one you like the least.

You have nice piece of history there, Chris

Comment

I agree, please leave the insignia as is.

Comment

I agree with the others who have suggested that the hat should be left as it is. The cap and insignia show a lot of what looks like honest period wear and use and the insignia look like they have been there a long time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X