Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army os cap from vet's son

Hi Guys,
    I got this cap from a collection i bought from the son of a vet of the 103rd infantry, he entered the war after D-Day.
    It looks like a field promotion to officer, piping is kind of crude, soutache is correctly applied, very faded, almost white in color.
    The inside is the true color, light green with partial liner to top.
    Material is not wool, but more a cotton type.
    Very interesting cap, what do you guys think?
    Regards,
    Gary
    Attached Files

Inside is the true color at one time
    Attached Files

Comment

artillery
      Attached Files

Comment

fading
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like field applied piping
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi, thats a slightly odd cap to my eyes, though the insignia looks good. It should have grommets, I think? Does it look like it had a lining which has been removed? I've seen some fake dak boards recently which were made from a similar fabric. The fading, looks good, so I hesitate to pass an opinion, maybe a more 'expert' member will offer a more worthwhile opinion than mine would be.
            I would be interested in what others have to say.

Jerry

Comment

Although it is not what one ordinarily sees I like it. It looks like folded NCO tresse was used for the piping.

Comment

Thanks Jerry and Mike, side panels are stitched at the point, so i can't fold it down all the way.
                Liner looks partial, maybe a summer cap?

Comment

Well, it's been raining here for days, finally the sun is out, for today anyway.
                  Here are pics in sunlight, i'm thinking he removed his liner to apply the tressing, then just sewed back in a partial liner...makes sense?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Then added a guaze like material as partial sweatband.
                    Maybe the summer of France?
                    Regards,
                    Gary
                    Attached Files

Comment

non standard but believable..Billbert

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
                        To my eyes, it looks like a very nice, original, period modified overseas cap.
                        Thank you for sharing,
                        Curtiss

Comment

Sidecap...

I have made some indications on your photo below. My question is if the line of stitching below my green line is where the liner is sewn to the cap or if the hand stitches in the yellow circles actually tack the liner in. Further, does the stitch line below my green line serve only to hemn the liner fabric... and is this thread a dark green color? Does that thread color match what is used elsewhere if there is unfaded thread to compare to?

I ask these questions because the materials making up this cap appear very similar to those found making up wartime Soviet uniforms and kit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes it seems the line stitch is attatched and the hand stitch was probably used to hold the cut, then folded part of the remainder of the liner.
                            Also the thread color is not dark green, but the same as the liner, those long stitches on top.

Comment

Hi, I'm glad to see that this has got some support, as though its an odd one, I would not say it was bad.

Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X