Gebergsjager Officer Bergmutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebergsjager Officer Bergmutz

I have owned this officer's bergmutz for awhile and would like the member's opinions on it. This is what I have so far from my studies. It does not have officer's piping which would date it pre 1942. It does not have ventilation holes which would date it pre 1938. It does not have the horsehair stiffiner, it has a leather strap that has been machine sewn. The horsehair stiffener was replaced "sometime during the war". It has a faded makers stamp. I can read "in Bayern" and below that a 17. It has a large I below this stamp and a 57 size stamp above it. There is a large unit stamp on the left hand side. Is it privite purches maybe?Anyway, I'd like to thank the members in advance for thier opinions and comments.
    Attached Files

=
    Attached Files

Comment

[
      Attached Files

Comment

\
        Attached Files

Comment

When it was upgraded we ll probably never know..the body of the cap IMO is a textbook 36-37-38 enlisted heer ordered contract cap with half the sweatband missing.. and eagle and buttons added later... Billbert

Comment

Looks like a very nice Em Bergmütze to me - why Officer? Because of the buttons?

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
              I agree with Billbert. It is an early, issue bergmutze, created before the grommets were introduced in late 1938. The reference for officer use is both the steinnusse buttons replaced by silver metal, and the officer bevo silver wire insignia. The officer silver crown piping did not come till later in the war.
              Thank you,
              Curtiss

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno View Post
                , and the officer bevo silver wire insignia.
                The insignia look standard EM to me, not the shiny silver offc. type. Compare to the silver buttons.

Nice cap anyway!

Comment

Very nice cap! Although there might be a chance the eagle and buttons are replaced... Lovely markings though.
                  http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Nice one, been there done that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X