"Fake" Wehrmacht General's crushers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul McKee View Post
    It does remind us as collectors to avoid becoming arrogant in thinking we know it all.
    Paul

I'm afraid that it is much too late for that!

At least two of those of the caps pictured are not even real crushers, but merely crusher like as demonstrated by the non-leather visors.
    Futhermore none of the 3 caps appear that the are made in way or of materials that will allow them to be crunched up into a baseball size was...more evidence that these are not a real mans crusher and would never up to the expert review of any serious collector. These Generals have been suckered into wearing bad stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
      At least two of those of the caps pictured are not even real crushers, but merely crusher like as demonstrated by the non-leather visors.
      (...) These Generals have been suckered into wearing bad stuff!
      phild, while I disagree on the peaks --- I couldn't agree more on the rest .

I do believe that the peaks we are looking at in the pictures are all leather peaks and just brand new and shiny. Similar ones that we'll encounter today are all artificially aged. You have to understand that back then at the end of the war German the internet wasn't spread so much (German resources went into stealth bombers and rocket sience) so fakers were still able to get away with such practices.

Kurt

Comment

I guess I was still asleep when I posted this (and now I can't edit it anymore). I meant to say:

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
        You have to understand that back then at the end of the war in Germany the internet wasn't spread so much (German resources went into stealth bombers and rocket science) so fakers were still able to get away with such practices.

Comment

Stealth bombers and rocket science...:
          Don't forget these

Great photos! Thanx for posting em. Rick C.
          Attached Files

Comment

phild, while I disagree on the peaks --- I couldn't agree more on the rest .

I do believe that the peaks we are looking at in the pictures are all leather peaks and just brand new and shiny. Similar ones that we'll encounter today are all artificially aged. You have to understand that back then at the end of the war German the internet wasn't spread so much (German resources went into stealth bombers and rocket sience) so fakers were still able to get away with such practices.

Kurt
            You may be right, but the visor on the 2nd cap just not seem to be the same shape or form as a leather visor and IMO even the other two (one or both) could easily be the much disgraced and undesirable (to the purist stud crusher collector experts) pressed paper visor.

One thing that I know for sure is that the 2nd and 3rd caps are padded and not of the same construction as an old style field cap....regardless of the materials used for the visor....and there were several different types of visors used on true old styles.

There were many items used and used in some quantity that do not fit neatly in the little boxes of textbook categories that collectors seem to love so much. These items were in fact textbook during the period to some extent as these were the guys that wrote the textbook, not us.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X