never been badged 1941 Dak pith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never been badged 1941 Dak pith

This is the only item of german headgear I bought this year and I am posting it for comments and opinions, PLEASE. I wasn't sure whether it should go here or in Helmets, so sorry if I chose poorly.
    It is unusual in not ever having had any sort of shields or a badge fitted. It mostly looks like a Tan first pattern heer pith. It looks a bit greener underneath and has dyed/stained brown leather edging trim and a brown chinstrap. It is made by Carl Halfar and you can just read the 41 of ther date and its size is clear, 56. It has no markings on the vent.
    I've seen 1st pattern heer piths with brown trim, but only green examples, never a tan one. Brown trim is usualy KM, while lufty use pale brown or natural leather trim/chin strap.
    So what is it? HELP!

With thanks, JerryBB
    Attached Files

Hi Jerry,
    With the brown trim and strap I'd have initially thought LW or KM.
    Who know what sequence transpired so this pith wasn't badged...perhaps a factory order shipped out to the Adriatic (or wherever) so that they went to the most needy and re-badged accordingly? Do you have any history with it?
    Regards,
    Mark

Comment

Hi Mark, I don't have any history, It came via ebay from germany. As you said, I assume its for Km or less likely luft, but It could be any of the other services, such as nskk or ss. Without shields or a badge on the front we might never know. I tend to favour KM as the most likely, especially as km piths can be red underneath, -I used to think they were always green.
      Thanks, JerryBB

Comment

Any opinions as to which service it would belong to?
        Thanks, Jerry

Comment

I have just got this one. Anymore info on it before I stick some Heer shields on it!
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nickwall View Post
              I have just got this one. Anymore info on it before I stick some Heer shields on it!
              If it's never had any insignia on it, which looks to be the case, why would you just stick something on it and compromise the integrity?

Comment

Saris, Headgear of Hitlers Germany, vol.2 cites the tropenhelm as worn by the SS to be without shields.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJager1944 View Post
                  If it's never had any insignia on it, which looks to be the case, why would you just stick something on it and compromise the integrity?
                  Agree completely. Leave it as is. Its a nice tropenhelm. Just recently another member stuck an eagle and sheild on a LW Blue sunhelmet that had never had any insignia during the War. But he stuck fake insignia on it thus ruining a helmet that had actual provenance to the War

Looks like it may have been a Herr helmet. Not everyone wore the shields. The ss helmets had a light tan brim and chinstrap.

Comment

Only joking about putting badges on it. It’s not going to get messed with. The leather work is darker then it should be, as I have had to use leather food on it to bring it back to life. The colour should lighten up as it works in.

Comment

there was this one on the ruptured duck a while back.

http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPa...hdgr/hg67c.htm

Regards,

Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X