Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here; so what's the differences betwen Bergmutze and Feldmutze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here; so what's the differences betwen Bergmutze and Feldmutze?

Hi guys, I'm totally new here and was reading up on the m43 field caps. I know the Bergmutze was for Mountain troops and the Feldmutze was issued to "regulars" in 1943, but I've been seeing tons of variations, from very obvious physical differences to almost identical. I know these caps had their evolutions as well, but still confused.

So anyways, what are the principal, most obvious differences between the two types? What are some less obvious and how have the developement of either style come about? Some pics would also be very helpful as well!

The long and the short of it is the length of the VISOR BILL..there are many many variations and transtional pieces along with field made pieces..DO SOME RESEARCH YOURSELF with the search method in the forum..Above all id you re buying something get an inspection return privilege..post any purchases for scrutiny..You get many answers but most times a consensus of opinion one way or another.. If you re buying you need MOST collectors to like it in case you ever need to resell.. JMHO Billbert

THere are 2 older books(s) that give good basic info about..I thinks its brian davis german army unifroms and 3 volume and john angolia/adolf schlickt uniforms and traditions of the german army.. first is a bargain and second group can be VERY pricey..

PS most of the time the bergmutze style has a t shaped eagle cockade mounting or 2 pcs...
    most of the m43 s have one piece trapeziod mounted eagle cockade insignia...

Comment

Welcome aboard by the way.........Billbert

Comment

thanks! I was reading over the threads and from what I gleaned from them, the hats underwent transitions, with some "hybrids" for the m43 at least where some hats would end up looking more like Bergmutze, while later ones were undoubtebly M43s.

The "typical" Bergmutze caps I've found are characterized by a higher front "peak" that in some pictures bulge up and out a the front, and have a shorter bill. It also seems these Bergmuzte caps' top resembles more to that of the forage cap, whreas M43s have a flat top surface. Am I right observing in the general characteristics between these caps? I'll try to find some pics posted here.

Comment

Your observations are correct. Also the bergmutze had as a general rule grommets, the m43 not. Here are four examples, m43 issue, m43 private purchase officer, berg mutze , issue m42. Hope this helps. Jacques
          Attached Files

Comment

You have recieved VERY education fotos here NEE.. heed them well..Billbert

Comment

Thanks guys! Those pics are great help!

About the Bergmutze and its varieties, there is one on ebay showing a Bergmutze cap without a pronounced peak:
              http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-German-Gebir...item5d26d05bba

The bill seems slightly shorter, but hard to tell, and since its reporduction, anyone know if they had these types made during WW2?

PS I'm having a hard time finding pictures at an angle other than front, side and portraits. Does anyone have a picture of a Bergmutze where the ange of the hat makes its distinctions more apparent?
              Last edited by nee; 11-08-2009, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I think, if you're about to buy a repro, choose Lost Battalions instead. I wouldn't say Spearhead is rubbish, but the cheapest, therefore lousy cathegory.

Distinguishing the mentioned hats, bergmütze usually had a leather/ersatz sweatband, and the crown of the hat was usually sewn with a double row stiching method. Also no earflap pullers present. But a stiffener cloth stripe on the peak's front inside.

I hope I could help.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bergmütze reference

Hi,

you could take a look at this book
                  http://www.amazon.com/German-Army-Mo...7710550&sr=1-2
                  there are a number of good Bergmütze pictures in it.
                  it says it isn't released yet, but it is ...

MfG,
                  Bart

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I recently came across this Bergmutze: http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-German-Alpi...item3a538642f7

It says its Bergmutze, but judging from teh picture it looks nowehere near like one (angle of picture makes it diffuclt for me to discern). Looking at that cap also made me think of a qustion: Were there non-wool M43 caps during WW2? Spearhead offers a "Summer" M43 Field Cap, something I ahve never seen surfing through google.

Comment

Excuse me nee, but what's your point with all these repro things? From now on please post in the "Living History" forum. Thx!

Comment

I'm not looking into buying or anything, I was wondering exactly how "faithful" are reproductions in terms of what the field caps were, and what are the little differences between a Bergmutze and Feldmutze. The vast majority of things I can find on the internet about these caps are sites selling them, rather than information about them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X