New pith helm aquisition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pith helm aquisition...

Here's a salty sun helmet I found recently. Never had one,and the price was right,so I took the leap. A couple of questions though,is there a specific "type"to this model,as I see many variations,and despite the lack of a maker's label,can it be ascertained who made this one? The size 57 and a G3 stamp are in the sweatband,along with a 153 stamed on paper. I can see the word STOCKO in raised leters underneath the vent dome also. The shields are very solidly fixed and hollow back,and if you peek behind them they leave a verdegris outline in the fabric. The only detractor is the chinstrap is missing a section with a buckle piece,and is "jerry"rigged,heh, together to keep the remainder intact. Otherwise it appears original in green color to the leather trim. Any chance it was in DAK hands?

Looks like a good one to me.

Comment

Nice war time pith. Its an army you can tell by the green leather. Its very hard to tell the maker if its not marked. I have over 20 piths and many are not marked with makers logos so dont worry about that part of it. I would say it has a very good chance to have been in Africa or Italy because it is with out an export ink stamp on the liner. The eagle looks early in style if you post a close up of the head I may be able to tell you the maker of it. I have many sets from different makers to compare it to. I have collected piths for many years and it seem that the makers list never ends. All in all nice looking pith.

Comment

Here goes,thanks for the info so far! The plates are stamped hollow,brass base with silver wash and paint,lots of caked verdigris if you peek behind them. and the G3 stamp...
        Last edited by Scott-W; 09-16-2009, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Nice original pith helmet
          My opinion, these are under estimated in the headgear collecting world.
          Regards,
          Gary

Comment

nice worn example of a 1st model pith helmet. You will see army shields on luft pith helmets and vice versa. Seems like they took what ever they could get for pith helmets. This one does have a nice sun faded look to it. Dan does have a pile of piths, I have seen the pics Its a nice example and one I would have in my collection, you made a good choice by jumping on it. These have a tendancy to get crushed a bit, the cork just isn't tough and you can dent them easily. Matt

Comment

Thanks gentleman. I'm a bit keen on Axis firearms info but out of my element on uniforms & headgear,so I opt for caution usually and pass unless I can post it here first. The overall "been there done that" look of this one got me though,so I bought first,asked question later,i.e.,gambled! It was posted on a gun forum sales section for a paltry $150 last week,and yes,they're underated as it sat there a day,with good pics at that. I also found out a size 57 fits my noggin like a tailor put it there! Though I won't be mowing the lawn in it...
              Last edited by Scott-W; 09-16-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Nice little display you have there. I definitely prefer the 1st model piths and you've got a nice one at a good price!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X