Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M43 Gebirgsjäger Officers cap

Hi
    I just got this cap as a present from a former Gebirgsjäger Oberleutnant.
    According what he told me, he was wearing this cap in this style until the end of the war. IMO has was adding his breast eagle post war and can`t remember ...
    Has any of you seen a cap worn like this, or was it possible to show up with this kind of "freedom", even for officers in combat ???
    Should I remove the eagle and try to restore with original accounterments??
    Thanks for any replies and advises
    Stephan
    Attached Files

side view
    Attached Files

Comment

inside
      Attached Files

Comment

The cap looks OK. Just a pitty of the eagle, it's doens't belong there. It looks like an original one aswel but you might consider replacing it with some officer insignia.
        http://www.sandeboetiek.com

sigpic

Comment

Obviously the liner and sweatband have gone but it's still a nice cap and to get it direct from the vet is a real bonus.

I would leave the eagle on there unless he happens to find the cap insignia that he might have forgotten about and gives them to you as well.

Comment

The way I see it, there are two schools of thought on this.
            1. Though it does look strange and may not be the eagle he had on it during the war, it IS now part of the cap's history...especially if the old vet sewed his breast eagle on it himself after the war. There is a valid historical argument in leaving it the way you got it. This is my preference.
            2. However as modern-day collectors, I realize the temptation is great to attempt to restore it. If you do, just make sure you use appropriate insignia. But remember, it will always be a restoration. If you ever sell it, be sure to disclose it as such.
            Bottom line, it is now your cap to do with as you see fit.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for your replies so far.
              You are right, I will keep the cap as it is, as in addition I will get some more from him. During the last visit I took a picture from his second head gear, but it looks also strange to me. I might get this hat hopefully within the next days.
              Sorry for the bad quality, but I had to take this shot pretty quick...
              regards
              Stephan
              Attached Files

Comment

imo leave it as is
                Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Respect the vet, he placed it there for a reason. I like it.
                  Very nice hats. He wore this all the war years? it really looks well worn on the inside. sweet!

Comment

Many soldaten, especially officers customized their hats with non standard insignia. We have seen winter fur hats with breast eagles on them. We have seen M43 hats with metal insignia on them. Why not this one? It seems plausible to me that this was done by the officer during the war.
                    HC

Comment

Originally posted by Steinar View Post
                      Respect the vet, he placed it there for a reason. I like it.
                      My thoughts also.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your opinions. As soon I get his second cap I will post it.
                        regards
                        Stephan

Comment

yes please leave it; and anyway for sure there are many "non-standards" we see often.

here's another: a heer man - the rest of his uniform looks quite standard but his cap seems to be from the belt-buckle style for the HJ Flakhelfer - with heer eagle!
                          Attached Files

Comment

It is not uncommon at all to see breast eagles on field caps. It was a much more common practice than what many may think. If it came from the vet this way then leave it that way.

Here is an idea for you. Since you obviously know this gentleman, ask him if he has any period photographs of himself wearing this cap. It's worth a try.

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
                              imo leave it as is
                              I agree with Lenny.I would leave the hat as it is.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X