Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical Panzer Officer's Overseas Cap

Hello

Here is another Tropical Lubstein Officers OS cap, all opinions welcome as always...

http://www.MyEasyPics.com/ag.php?fid=21575&mid=919

thanks
    Tim

It does look good at first glance but it has a couple of issues including the use of what I believe is a reproduction cockade. I do know that this cockade has appeared on caps in a particular book, but I'm sure that this one is considered a repro.
    As mentioned in my pm to you, I'm concerned by one of the grommets (although the other looks okay). The maker markings are very crisp and look good. They are hard to compare against those in my two Lubsteins but the name 'Robert Lubstein' appears to be in a slightly bolder text in my caps whilst the 1 and 9 are different.

Definitely an interesting cap but I really can't be sure to tell you the truth as I've never seen a side cap made by Lubstein.

Mark

Comment

Like it more than I dont..Billbert

Comment

Panzer tropical side cap

The cap looks exactly like the one in the book Afrikakorps by Robert Kurtz, and deemed to be the rarest of tropical sidecaps and that is also a Lubstein.

William

Comment

Originally posted by william15 View Post
          The cap looks exactly like the one in the book Afrikakorps by Robert Kurtz, and deemed to be the rarest of tropical sidecaps and that is also a Lubstein.

William
          I disagree, it isn't exactly like the example in that book as there are significant differences in the sewing and construction. I'm not discounting this cap is I do think it has a pretty good chance of being good, it just has issues which stop me from thinking that it is 100%.

Take a look at the difference in the sewing along the bottom edge and just below the turn up. They are definitely sewn differently, but this may just be the individual seamstress. The cap posted by Tim also has a larger area between the turn up and the crown making the cap appear significantly deeper at the front. This may just be the way the two caps were photographed but it appears to be the actually cut of the cap to me.

Mark
          Last edited by Mark Gibson; 01-29-2009, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Appreciate the comments so far, This cap has good and bad points
            Jose's book Vol II page #56-57 has a Lubstein Officers cap, stamp is different font along with size stamp, know this is not always bad sign but agree about the flat grommets again...could be the photo too.

Tim

Comment

I'm not happy with the insignia application and seating, let alone that cockade...
              Mark T.

Comment

Although this cap definately has some appeal, it also has a few significant 'issues' including the previously mentioned observations. Please refer to the example shown in Jose Figueroa's book on tropical head gear, Vol.2 and you will see the significant differences. Especially the Robert Lubstein stamp. There are some really scary DAK caps floating around out there that fool a lot of people including myself.

Comment

Im still liking it more than I don't. It has some issues, don't think i would give top dollar for it, but i think that its a legit period item. I think it would be worht going for if the price wasn't too ridiculous. But officer panzer items are very desireable, i had been offered a M41 Panzer officers cap but it was a very very well put together piece. I just about jumped on it with the steep tag due to its rarity but lucked out and found it to be bad. Just be cautious. I do like it far more than i don't though. Matt

Comment

Hi

I am not an expert, but I like the detail in which part of the sutache is under thread used to stitch the cap.

Juan

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                      Hello

Here is another Tropical Lubstein Officers OS cap, all opinions welcome...
                      Tim
                      From the pictures, I could entertain a doubt.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post

B. N. Singer
                        How I've missed those words!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far, This one is the best of the four posted imho.

""Quote:
                          Originally Posted by B. N. Singer

B. N. Singer""

"How I've missed those words!"

Me Too

Comment

They have messed up on the stamping but they have prodused the best fake grommets I have ever seen.

Comment

Good point, Tony.
                              I even had no problems with the ones on the Km cap - they are darn close to the examples on my original caps...(I do not believe they are removed sets from O/S caps). Thankfully other areas were inadequate in detail or finish.
                              Mark.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X