Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
    HG Spahtrupp #2
    Bill, you are DA MAN! Where have you been?

Nice 231s!
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

I am sure you are correct. I have one army and one SS panzer beret and neither has any unit markings. Are the crash helmets normally marked?

I am sure that there must be another Luftwaffe beret, or two, in existance. I understand that most berets were stripped and the crash helmets re-used as winter caps. I would think that some covers were saved.

Bob Hritz
      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
        I am sorry if I am beating a dead horse. This thread had so many pages, I didn't want to real all of them to see if this had been discussed or not.
        I used to own a bevo Luftwaffe eagle exactly like the one sewn to this beret. It had been sewn on something at one time. I got it at a gun show out of the typical vet's cigar box with other vet obtained insignia. I have NO doubts about it being original. Now, for the stupid part. When I need money, I sold it to the only person I knew would care at all about it, George Petersen. We both just assumed it was for the Luftwaffe crusher and never really gave it much thought nor discussed it much at the time. What George did with it when he sold his collection, I do not know.
        Thank you,
        Curtiss

Comment

I'm sorry...in order to post a comment, you have to go back and read all the pages of discussion, submit an essay, double spaced of at least 1500 words explaining your position before you can comment.

Curtiss...I'm just joking of course, too bad you don't have a photograph. It probably went with everything else that was sold.

Richard

Comment

A note on stitching

I have been reading this thread and thought i just might add that any period zig zag sewing machine had the ability to Widen or Narrow the the stitch width.
            The cockade insignia on the beret is sewn with what is called a "SATIN STITCH". This is the narrowest setting on an adjustable zig zag machine. If you doubt they had them back then just take a look at some of the insignia that is sewn with all types of machine zig zag. Satin stich was used for extra strength. So don't be to hasty to say it is "overstitched". It was used mainly by tailors and seamstress alike.

Comment

Originally posted by androsh View Post
              I have been reading this thread and thought i just might add that any period zig zag sewing machine had the ability to Widen or Narrow the the stitch width.
              The cockade insignia on the beret is sewn with what is called a "SATIN STITCH". This is the narrowest setting on an adjustable zig zag machine. If you doubt they had them back then just take a look at some of the insignia that is sewn with all types of machine zig zag. Satin stich was used for extra strength. So don't be to hasty to say it is "overstitched". It was used mainly by tailors and seamstress alike.
              Hey Androsh,

Where were ya when we needed ya?

Just kidding...I do agree with what you have said, and there are hundreds of examples of this exact type stitching on Luftwaffe garments. Many are shown on this forum.

Richard

Comment

Here are the latest reproduction Luftwaffe berets offered. They also have SS berets in field gray and black. The Luftwaffe come in E.M. and bullion officer versions.

George Petersen also had some repro Luft. berets made from all original parts including the beret shell, tam, and HG luft. insignia.

Richard
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X