Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about WH cap

Hi

I found this NICE WH cap in "crusher" style (I think that style is cool ).

I am however wondering about the black buttons by the cordel, which normally are seen on enlisted soldiers caps.

Are black buttons acceptable as original on an officers cap and what do YOU think about the cap ?

Thanks !

Jesper
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OU812; 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I would pass on this cap personally. It is an enlisted cap that someone has put an officers chinstrap on. As a rule officers did not use black buttons. The material is usually associated with enlisted caps. The bill has been sewn back on and the sweat band has also. This has been completely messed with and looks to be assembled from parts.

Comment

Thanks for your comment.

What does "bill" by the way mean (I'm Danish ) ?

Comment

It is an original visor (Marke Odd) that has a re-sewn visor,sweatband and replaced chin cord buttons (insignia probably as well)...Black markings inside the hat look to be post war.

Glenn
              "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I think it just as well could be an enlisted man who was promoted ?

Comment

No, then he would have replaced the black buttons with silver ones. This cap was post war promoted. Jacques

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                  I think it just as well could be an enlisted man who was promoted ?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
                    It is an original visor (Marke Odd) that has a re-sewn visor,sweatband and replaced chin cord buttons (insignia probably as well)...Black markings inside the hat look to be post war.

Glenn
                    Glenn is spot on, additionally, this Marke Odd would have been a private purchase cap.

My opinion is that the base cap has had the band resewn, then the insignia and cord were added using buttons available, all done post war.

A lot of people have rebuilt caps post war that just want a cap to look as best as it can as it did during ww2, regardless is they get it right or not.

This looks to me like one of those types, a representative piece, not correct as it should be, but easy to spot by us guys.

If you trade at a militaria show, caps such as this get brought in, with the owner swearing it is original and they get very upset when told it is not, just a sum total of used bits and bobs all connected together.

On a positive note, base cap wise, this is the most frugal Marke Odd that I have seen, unless the Marke Odd liner is not original to the ensemble, however, the more I look at it, the more it looks like a complete frankenstein, bolt and all.

J T

Comment

Is it possible that it was a cap for a senior nco with portapee if it wasn't a made up cap

Comment

Most times buttons where changed black to silver but not ALWAYS..JMHO Billbert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X