This is a 100% fake logo on a "LW Generals" visor:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A real one:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Now, I will agree, this one is blurrier than the one above it. The size tag is not characteristic of CW. There is no "gap" between the 3 sections that make up the 3 "feathers". Also, the diamond does not show between the gap in the feathers.

However, this assumes that CW used the same die for every logo. Also, the type of silk and the pattern will cause different "bleeds" of the silver ink, and then there is the issue of the type of ink itself. If the above hat is a fake, then it is probably from the same faker who made either the black-grommet Erels or the Heavyweight fakes. I am on the fence, and need to see more of these.
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
            Here is an another example for sale at Tarn Militaria.
            Thanks,
            Curtiss

http://www.tarnmilitaria.nl/showpics.../579412mei2008

Comment

Here is another V.A.d.LW, but this is printed, and not a foil logo (and there are original foil logos):
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno View Post
                Hello Gentlemen,
                Here is an another example for sale at Tarn Militaria.
                Thanks,
                Curtiss

http://www.tarnmilitaria.nl/showpics.../579412mei2008
                This is an excellent thread, nice work Chris. It's high time a study of CW's was undertaken.

From the link above, take a look at the 4th pic down out of 5.

This cap has a manufacturer's stamp impressed on the reverse of the sweatband. We now have a sweatband stamping, unlike previous sweatband stampings I have previously seen on a CW.

Now we have the CW "date stamp" used on side caps, converted for use as a size stamp, with off center number

Does any else have a CW with one of these stamps, this is the first I have seen.

We are now seeing a lot of full roll over sweatband Clemens Wagner's knocking about on websites. I like the stirndrukfrei and half roll over types, but I'm not too impressed with the full roll over type, from the examples I have seen so far.

J T

Comment

Hi everyone
                  really interesting thread.....
                  Several years ago I bought the "brother" of the cap posted by Curtiss in the other thread......
                  (I can't post pics...so if someone give me the mail I'll send them to post).
                  I'd say same material, same logo and same stamp under the SB and in mint conditions as well.......
                  The only difference is the typical CW stitching of the SB.......
                  I don't want to say nothing about his originality........but now the natural question is: does this kind of cap exist only in mint conditions? Does someone has a similar cap used?
                  I've always considered it a good cap.......let's see.........
                  Otherwise I'm learning another expensive lesson.......
                  Warmest regards
                  Giorgio

Comment

the blured logo is the first turn off, but they made some nice ones!

Comment

Originally posted by giorgio View Post
                      Hi everyone
                      really interesting thread.....
                      Several years ago I bought the "brother" of the cap posted by Curtiss in the other thread......
                      (I can't post pics...so if someone give me the mail I'll send them to post).
                      I'd say same material, same logo and same stamp under the SB and in mint conditions as well.......
                      The only difference is the typical CW stitching of the SB.......
                      I don't want to say nothing about his originality........but now the natural question is: does this kind of cap exist only in mint conditions? Does someone has a similar cap used?
                      I've always considered it a good cap.......let's see.........
                      Otherwise I'm learning another expensive lesson.......
                      Warmest regards
                      Giorgio
                      Hi Giorgio, I hope it is the real deal.

We will probably see a few of the formally mint caps being distressed now, to emulate ageing, its a fact of this field I'm afraid.

Let's see what comes through the grapevine.

J T

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
                        The Luftwaffe officers visor cap I just picked up is almost mint, but does show some light wear. The leather sweatband shows wear, and it has the metal stud owner's initials, which of course would be easy to duplicate, but they appear to have been there a long time, even when looked at from the back. Notice too the difference in eagles between my visor and the one that Michael Everett posted, which he recently purchased at a German show. While the lettering of the logo is not totaly crisp, it does show a nice rich foil appearance, and not just a cheap silver printing.
                        I anxiously await other opinions.
                        Thank you all,
                        Curtiss

Comment

This is in a Luft. Officers visor, "Meifter Klaffe" ( Meister Klasse). The sweatband is also marked in the typical CW way.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno View Post
                            it has the metal stud owner's initials, which of course would be easy to duplicate, but they appear to have been there a long time, even when looked at from the back.

Just to elaberate on Curtiss's point.

Below is an example of a C W that I was offered last year that is mint, looks quite flimsy and has a load of stuff on it that I don't like personally. I turned it down.

The point with this one is it looks mint and unissued, yet has an Initial metal stud on it, looks like it had 2 but the other is missing. Believe me, this one has no place on this cap I am showing. It has no wear at all if you see the other pics I was sent.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The sweatband may look dirty in the pics, but it is actually the grain of the material not dirt.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Made in 1942 according to the date stamp!!!!!!

I would say that Wagner's would have been far better than this in 1942.

Maybe 1944, not 42 though.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X