Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's With Pith Prices?

I'm not a head gear guy...at all.

I've always wanted a pith and was able recently to buy one from a fellow member. My qeustion is this: Why is there such a disparity between the prices of pith helmets, vs any other wehrmacht helmet? The average pith ranges in value from around 250-400 USD while a DD Heer helmet can often run between 800-1100. I would imagine that fewer piths were manufactured. As such, why is the value less? Is demand alot lower? Forgive the ignorant question. Like I said, Im not a head gear collector.

I have never collected them, but large unissued stocks of them were found in storage in Europe in the 70's, so they are common. Further, they don't have the glamour of a helmet, simply due to the fact that they really aren't the most military looking of headgear, and most DAK troops hated them (and wore the DAK caps instead.) From what I understand, the cork/cloth ones are rarer and a worth more, but not by much.

LW and Navy ones go for more than the Heer models, due to fewer numbers manufactured.
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I agree with Stonemint. Let's put it this way. When you think of the WWII German soldier, do you normally picture him with a Stahlhelm or a pith helmet? The steel helmet is, over everything else, THE halmark of the WWII German soldier. Hence, the higher prices.

Steve
      ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Please tell me where I can get a DD Heer helmet for $800 to $1100...?

Comment

I've seen a few here and there over the course of the last 12 months. I don't keep a steady eye on them as edged weapons are my bag.

Regarding the pith and prices, i had heard about the boat loads of unissued pieces being discovered some years back. Even then, it just strikes me that there is not nearly as much interest in them as there are the traditional helmet. I think the tropical piths are pretty cool. Again, that's coming from a non-head gear collector. The one I just bought came for less than $175. Her felt is mint, metal insignia great, but missing her chin strap and her brim leather is a bit rough. I'd say based on the wear, the wear to the inner lining, etc, this one was an issued piece.

Good collecting,
          t

Comment

I think the pith thing is out of hand. Hell no more that 2 years ago a first pattern in mint condition might and I say might set you back $250-$275. Now these damn things including the second pattern are skyrocketing. Why? The demand for the lowly pith certainly has not increases and supply has not tightened. My guess is some bozo dealer (one in California comes to mind ) sold one for $450 and now that is the benchmark. Fu@k it, I don’t need one at these prices.

Comment

Valid point. There was a recent thread elsewhere regarding dealers and setting the market. Many postulate that the dealers will push as high as the market will bear, hit that threshold, set the market as such, and others subsequently base thier valuations on the respective price.

My favorite is fleaBay for example. Here is a typical listing. "German Sword from world war two. These sell for over 5K. A military dealer has one on his site for 5K. Therefor, that's what I want for this one". Laughable.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X