CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rommel's Goggles--Dress Up That Boring Visor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rommel's Goggles--Dress Up That Boring Visor!

As a kid growing up in the early 1970's, I thought Rommel had the coolest visor, probably due, in part, to the way he wore his goggles:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Now, there was a company back then called Unique Imports out of Alexandria, Va (which I believe was started by Jim Atwood of dagger fame). They used to advertise German helmets in the back of Boys Life for $19.95 (they were Norwegian re-issues repainted and re-decaled.)

Anyway, they advertised the famed "Rommel's Goggles" in their catalog for
    $4.95 a piece , and being the dumb 12 year old kid I was, I bought a few pairs with my hard-earned paper-route money (after the helmet, of course). Here is their ad, probably circa 1975 (credit: Tim K):
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is a close-up of the ad. If I recall right, when you bought the "goggles", you also got a little brochure showing Rommel wearing them in different poses. They came in clear and tinted.
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I had forgotten about them until I was watching a documentary on Rommel the other week--he went everywhere in Afrika wearing them.

Anyway, what they really are is British Anti-Gas Eyeshields, not "goggles".
        Rommel came upon them as war booty. This is the type of pack they come in (and are still commonly available--you have to search ebay under "eyeshields" or "anti-gas" in the collectibles category.

(Thanks, Ade, for the pic and the tip):
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is a "boring" medical WH visor all "Rommel-Goggled" out. These things are as flimsy as I remember them--the lenses are plastic, and they come flat, and get their shape from the snaps:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

But hey, it is better to look good than to feel goodglasses:
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Color shot of Rommel wearing 'em:
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

They even used "Rommel's Goggles" for James Mason!:
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

not limited to senior ranking officers/generals

Not limited to senior ranking officers/generals!
                  These captured British anti gas goggles were worn by many troops, I've seen images of motorcycle dispatch riders with these!
                  Here's a period image!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yup! Nice shot with the armelband in wear on a first pattern tunic.

Did you ever notice, Stonemint, that only Rommel's cap looks better with the goggles in place. I've displayed several visors over the years, including an Erel Privat general's, with the Rommel goggles (and other types) in place, and IMO they display better without them. I don't know why that is. His just looks so cool. I guess his set-up was the ONLY original, and all those that came after are just cheap imitations.

Comment

I was trying to find a copy of my old Unique Imports Rommel's Goggles brochure, but it probably went into a landfill a long time ago.

In any event, I did a forum search and found Karl had already posted the brochure:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This would have been his Normandy visor:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I remember the brochure was careful to point out that Rommel was wearing his goggles inside out here!:
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

In February of 1999 British "GQ" Magazine published a list of the best-dressed men of the 20th Century, which included FM Erwin Rommel. On Monday Feb.22 James Brown, the editor was forced to resign after the ensuing uproar.

Comment

Amusing to see this. I once had a pair of these goggles too from this company back then myself.

For some reason I recall they were free with the purchase of a helmet. Or it could have been when I bought the DAK color scheme helmet and the goggles separately but along with it.

Please see post #11 on for a blast from the past http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...unique+imports I still have all these publications on hand.

-Ray-
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X