HG White Piped Overseas Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HG White Piped Overseas Cap

Recently a fellow forum member posted a white piped overseas cap on the E-Stand that had its origin questioned by another member. I've purchased the cap and would like to start a thread about the cap to see what comments are out there. So, here is what I have been able to determine.

I believe that the cap is an original Luftwaffe overseas cap. Its maker's stamp although rather faded is to the hat maker Georg Teufel u. Sohn in Tuttlingen. The cap is dated 1938, right around the time that the RGG changed its waffenfarbe to white - a color that they were very proud of.

I believe that most Luftwaffe collectors will concede that the piped overseas caps existed for a very short period of the pre-war time. So, the questions about this cap are (1) Is Jack wrong about it being an original wartime manufactured cap; and (2) If he is not, when was the waffenfarbe applied.

So, let the picture posting begin.
    Attached Files

I'm going to use a mixture of photos that are mine and also the seller. The next one is a good shot of the inside of the flap showing the attachment of the piping to the cap. This was provided by the seller.
    Attached Files

Comment

The next is an exterior shot of the application of the piping. The question that was raised in the sale thread was when was the piping attached. The above photo and this one should convince everyone that the piping was attached at the time of manufacture.

Piped Luftwaffe caps will be seen with two methods of attachment: 1. using the same stitch that was used to finish the top of the flap; and 2. using a new single stitch to attach the piping.

There is no doubt that when it comes to the second method of attachment that there are obvious questions as to when the piping was attached. However, when attached in the first method, it's pretty well self-evident that the piping and cap have always been together.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here are additional photos for perusal.
        Attached Files

Comment

Maker's stamp.
          Attached Files

Comment

Size stamp
            Attached Files

Comment

I believe the piping is original to the cap and the cap is good.

Comment

Interior.
                Attached Files

Comment

Top looking down.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Another shot.
                    Attached Files

Comment

One side

1 side
                      Attached Files

Comment

Last photo.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good to me Jack.

I did see one from a Vet in which the white piping was hand sewn.

Glenn
                          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I understand lthat the colored piping is sort of a fuzzy issue on LW caps, but I would say that in my opinion the qulaity of workmanship that went into this cap and it's piping would allow me to sleep pretty well at night - I feel it is original and period.

Don

Comment

Hi Jack,
                              I too was very tempted, as I have a mint NCO RGG tunic and visor cap. I feel the cap is probably an original war time piece. My only issue is that every picture I have ever seen, both published and private, shows the RGG soldiers wearing non-piped overseas caps. RGG and HG unit in particular, were prone to some very un-usual uniform combinations, but I lean towards text book examples for myself. That way there is no explaining and convincing to do when it comes time to sell.
                              Thanks,
                              Curtiss

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X