Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infantry M34 on the e-stand

Lords & Ladies -

I saw this cap on the e-stand and my opinion is that the soutache has been added postwar.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=282174

I could be wrong, certainly. However I have a LOT of M34 caps with soutache and there are two issues with this one...

1) Application. The sewing is sloppy and it's not a nice arc like it should be.

2) Placement. All of mine have the ends of the soutache terminate right at the botom seam. These are higher than standard.

Again... my apologies to the seller if I am wrong. I just feel off about it and thought some opinions might help.

All the best - Mike

Mike, I agree with you. The soutache ends should be part of the seam and not through punched holes in the front. I agree the soutache application is suspect and not what is normally seen on originals. The soutache material looks a little different if I am not mistaken. I think you are right to question it. Best regards, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by 1corps View Post
      Mike, I agree with you. The soutache ends should be part of the seam and not through punched holes in the front. I agree the soutache application is suspect and not what is normally seen on originals. The soutache material looks a little different if I am not mistaken. I think you are right to question it. Best regards, Mike.
      i would disagree soutach should be inserted into a through hole there is no seam only a stitch line where the extra material is tucked under liner and sewn together, but i would agree in its atypical aplication ,and the use of feld grey thread looks odd it also looks like the person or the machine went a little stray i.e. off coarse and the thread seem to double up quite often strange just an observation
      Last edited by Lenny W; 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM.
      Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
      teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Lenny, I believe you are correct. I had it wrong. Thanks, Mike.

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
        i would disagree soutach should be inserted into a through hole there is no seam only a stitch line where the extra material is tucked under liner and sewn together, but i would agree in its atypical aplication ,and the use of feld grey thread on an early dated cap looks odd it also looks like the person or the machine went a little stray i.e. off coarse and the thread seem to double up quite often strange just an observation

Comment

Lenny - I didn't even think about the thread used in the construction of the cap. Excellent point.

For the record, I did not mean to imply the soutache ends went through a seam at the bottom, I mean they just line up with that seam more often than not.

Mike

Comment

probably ok interesting example
            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X