Advice From Experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice From Experts

Hey guys! Let me start by saying that this is a very interesting site!

For awhile I've been trying to find a German WW2 replica of Erwin Rommel's hat. A replica, I say, because I can't afford an original of the same type at the moment. Now I'm sure you all know what his hat looks like, but just for kicks and giggles here's the picture I have:

Now, I've looked all over the place and can't find the same hat with a gold rope, but I can make do with the silver. Also, while I think the hat looks better with the eagle, the man I'm buying it for may not necissarily like the swastica. I was also wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on what I should put in it's place, or if I should just leave it with the wreath, cockade, and ropes and no insignia at the top.

Anyways, on to my question! I've found 2 different hats that look like they may be close to the one Rommel has in the picture, but before I decide to put my money into one of them only to be disappointed, I thought I should get some advice from the experts. Here are the two hats:

Hat 1

Hat 2

I'd be happy if you guys could tell me which if either of these hats would probably be the closest, I'd really appreciate it. Please point out if either of them are terrible deals also, if you guys know some better places to buy a hat like I'm looking for, or even have a hat that would be ideal.

Thanks for the time!

~Josh Snyder

So when we click on the links do our computers go into meltdown ? Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

No sir, they're links to ebay. Go ahead and hover your mouse over them. I wouldn't go to the trouble of waiting for my account to be validated and writing all that just to melt someone's computer down.

Comment

My advice....start to save some money to buy a real one.
        This one for example
        http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H000959.html

Looks like the one that Erwin Rommel is wearing, except this one has a silver rope instead of a gold one.

With regards

Erwin

Comment

Hi Josh, and welcome to the forum!

Try here:

http://www.extraklasse.co.uk/shop/viewphoto.php?x=0

$271.35

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

MG-Freak: It's not that I don't want an original, it's that the originals are too expensive right now. Currently, the ideal price range is below $150. 300 The absolute highest without my wife castrating me.

Yeah, this one is pretty close, but it looks like the wreath and cockade are cloth, while the ones in the original are metal.

Also, no suggestions about the eagle?
            Last edited by Spectre483; 04-05-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Hi Josh, I think that the vendor might be able to supply any combination of insignia that you want.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I think I see. That's looking better and better. Another question about it though: It says that the Eagle is silver and metal, but not the wreath and cockade. If I were to order a metal wreath and cockade would I be able to take the fabric one off and replace it with the metal one without harming the hat?

Comment

As you are dealing with a new made repro item you should be able to take off any sewn insignia with ease and steam shut any stitch holes. The new replacment metal insignia should cover it anyway.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, you're going to learn alot by hanging around this forum.
                    On to your hat search.
                    1. You need to get a Generals cap (gold bullion piping) and not a Cavalry cap (yellow gold wool piping), big difference.
                    2. The wreath Rommel is wearing in your first pic is Bullion (not stamped metal like the eagle) with a metal cockade.
                    3. You can use either gold (color) or silver (color) insignia depending on the year for your display.

These fakes are all over the place, and you should be able to find them in your price range.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X