Air-Sea Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air-Sea Rescue

A slightly different style from that sometimes seen.
    Attached Files

button
    Attached Files

Comment

Most interesting, never seen one like that before!

Jack

Comment

inside
        Attached Files

Comment

There is a bullion version of this insignia, with metal crossed anchors, which I have seen, but unfortunately do not have. From looking at stitch marks on the front of this cap and corresponding holes on the interior, I believe that type of insignia was originally on this cap, but was changed later to the metal version. If you look closely, right above and on either side of the swastika on the front of the cap, you can see the shape of an inverted "V" where the old insignia was sewn. Anyway, this is the way this one came from a vet. I wasn't there when it came out of the footlocker, but I was there 10 minutes later!

Comment

Leroy--another choice piece of obscure headgear! Interesting maker--I have never seen it before, and even more interesting in that they named this model of visor the "Balbo" after the famed Italian aviator, Italo Balbo--rare piece!
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Exactly right on the naming! Balbo was world-famous for his pre-war seaplane exploits (even had a street in Chicago named for him). The Luftwaffe Air-Sea Rescue service was a direct outgrowth of the seaplanes stationed along the coast and the units which serviced them. Its heritage also goes back to German naval aviation in the First World War.
              Last edited by Leroy; 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X