Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jäger piping question

Hi!

I am being offered an Erel Schirmmütze which I believe to be original. The piping is strongly faded in some areas...

I would like to know if you also believe it is Jäger (that is as what it is beeing offered to me). If you see anything wrong with the Schirmmütze please also feel free to comment...

piping close ups:

Comment

For comparison some other green pipings.

left: Erel Official
      top: Panzergrenadier
      right: Official for the duration of the war
      middle (bottom): the discussed Schirmmütze

Comment

IMO the color of the piping had been changed via dye. The million-dollar question is was it period done or done to enhance the value of the cap? I don’t know but I would pas.

Comment

You're right NTZ, This pic tells it all.
          Was this an infantry cap at one time?
          Was it period dyed?
          We will never know, unfortunitely
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you NTZ & Kreager for your evaluation... That was indeed another one of my concerns regarding this visor that it could have been redyed.

I have not entirely given up on this particular piece, however.

Kreager, is there a chance the piping was just bleached by sunlight (I have seen this on Signals & Transport pipings) in the particular spot that you highlighted? Could it have been covered by the oak wreath and therefore spared? The piping really does look very light & faded in those areas exposed to light...

I have never knowingly seen a redyed piping so I am really uncertain here. Is your verdict final or would it make sense to take more photos?

Thank you for your effort & time

Kurt

Comment

Hi Kurt,
              If you have this cap in hand, or can get it in your hands try to pull back (gently) the top and side wool panels to expose the crown piping base. This area would be nearly impossible to dye without taking the cap apart.

Comment

Hello,

Piping may have been recoloured, it was not made with dye, rather a period feltpen. One can see it quite commonly on Infantry ones being recoloured to Panzer, Panzergrenadier and also Medic and Artillery.

Some naturally have been recoloured after the war only to enhance the value.

Looking at the piping on this cap, which I am not sure it have been recoloured, can only be seen as said if one looks at the piping pulled back as much as possibly, one can clearly due to wear see it was not done after the war.

You have a period, possibly recoloured, original Erel visorcap.

Problem is only that the value and the sellability is as pointed out here not so good.

Lasse

Comment

Hello,

here are the limits of digital photography --- it is hard to capture everything (in addition, I should have washed my hands before taking those pics ;-) )...

Kreager, I have tried to pull the cloth to the side and the piping is indeed darker and looks green (no spots or white areas as in the visible areas). I hope the photos show what I mean. What do you think?

Lasse, those are encouraging words --- if one can say that it is "obviously" period I would be more inclined to purchase/acquire it. This particular visor is part of a set of three TR visors which are offered to me as a trade. The price equivalence is relatively reasonable. Nevertheless, out of curiosity: if I ever were to try to resell it (if it turns out to be redyed or questionable), would it range like an Infantry visor or would I have to be concerned to be able to sell it at all?

Best regards & thanks for your input

Kurt

Comment

[QUOTE=Kurt;2342894]Hello,

here are the limits of digital photography --- it is hard to capture everything (in addition, I should have washed my hands before taking those pics ;-) )...

Kreager, I have tried to pull the cloth to the side and the piping is indeed darker and looks green (no spots or white areas as in the visible areas). I hope the photos show what I mean. What do you think?

Lasse, those are encouraging words --- if one can say that it is "obviously" period I would be more inclined to purchase/acquire it. This particular visor is part of a set of three TR visors which are offered to me as a trade. The price equivalence is relatively reasonable. Nevertheless, out of curiosity: if I ever were to try to resell it (if it turns out to be redyed or questionable), would it range like an Infantry visor or would I have to be concerned to be able to sell it at all?

Best regards & thanks for your input

Kurt

As I thought, it have not been recoloured, it was only faded by wear and exposure to sun and elements.

Nice untouched cap!

You should buy it

Lasse

Comment

Originally posted by Kreager View Post
                      You're right NTZ, This pic tells it all.
                      Was this an infantry cap at one time?
                      Was it period dyed?
                      We will never know, unfortunitely

No, it was not a Infantry cap
                      No it was not dyed
                      Yes, we do know, fortunatly

Lasse

Comment

As much as it pains me to agree with Lasse the additional pics do show fading and not a dye job.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
                          As much as it pains me to agree with Lasse the additional pics do show fading and not a dye job.

Well, let´s kiss and make up

Comment

Originally posted by Lasse Kongo View Post

Well, let´s kiss and make up
                            I still love you, you make me laugh.

Comment

Kurt thanks for the extra pics. Looks like a very nice cap

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X