Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted A- SS

Comment

The question of Allgemeine-SS being represented by the black covered caps and the Waffen-SS being represented by the gray-green covers is somewhat dubious. After 1938 all of the SS began wearing the gray-green covers. The black became more of a dress and was seen less and less as the war went on. At the last MAX Show Don Wood was selling his SS general's caps; one with black top and the other with gray-green top. When asked about the Waffen-SS cap, Don replied it was Allgemeine-SS because it was named to an Allgemeine-SS general. In our collecting community we have a tendency to put these two caps into two separate categories, but the gray-green covered cap was eventually worn by ALL SS personnel. There are many era photos showing SD personnel during the Warsaw uprising wearing the Waffen-SS uniforms and the gray-green covered service caps, etc.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz View Post
        The question of Allgemeine-SS being represented by the black covered caps and the Waffen-SS being represented by the gray-green covers is somewhat dubious. After 1938 all of the SS began wearing the gray-green covers. The black became more of a dress and was seen less and less as the war went on. At the last MAX Show Don Wood was selling his SS general's caps; one with black top and the other with gray-green top. When asked about the Waffen-SS cap, Don replied it was Allgemeine-SS because it was named to an Allgemeine-SS general. In our collecting community we have a tendency to put these two caps into two separate categories, but the gray-green covered cap was eventually worn by ALL SS personnel. There are many era photos showing SD personnel during the Warsaw uprising wearing the Waffen-SS uniforms and the gray-green covered service caps, etc.

Bob

BOB-
        EXCELLENT POINT. I HAVE A GRAY TUNIC OF AN ALLGEMEINE GRUPPENFUHRER THAT IS MOUNTED WITH THE POLITICAL STYLE SHOULDER BOARDS IN LIEU OF THE WAFFEN S S PATTERN. MANY OF THE ALLGEMEINE GENERAL OFFICERS WERE ALSO GENERALS OF POLICE.

Comment

I agree with Bob W's and Bob C's comments--but for this poll, lets just pretend that the gray are Waffen and the Black are Allegemeine.

Anyway, as most of you know, I am into aesthetics, and I gotta go for the A-SS based on the same....
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Interesting thread! But I would guess that, from a valuation standpoint, the black and gray examples will always be considered separately and apart from their overlapping heritage (lacking evidence to confirm), and this makes sense. They represent different things, really, and should be valued as such.

Comment

I'll go for the Waffen SS then because these were the hard fighting boys in the trenches, land and in the tanks!

But a black SS visor does have s special appeal. Out of a pure estethical point of view the black cap wins. But if you want history, it is the grey Waffen cap that rules!

"Felix" - N. Hansson

Comment

I have, out of sheer luck, come into a few of both of these caps, and as a result searched the net for comparable pieces. The black Allgemeine OFFICER caps are without a doubt, in my opinion, rarer than the Waffen SS. For some reason, the opposite seems to be true when it comes to EM caps...

Comment

Uh

I have always thought Allgemeine SS Officers Visors are far more plentiful and in better condition than Waffen SS Visors. I like them both equally depending on the mood I am in that day. I have seen a ton of EM Allgemeine Visors around lately. And let's not event talk about the rarity of an SS NCO's visor!

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
                    I'll go for the Waffen SS then because these were the hard fighting boys in the trenches, land and in the tanks!

But a black SS visor does have s special appeal. Out of a pure estethical point of view the black cap wins. But if you want history, it is the grey Waffen cap that rules!

"Felix" - N. Hansson
                    Felix,
                    I agree 100%!

Sepp

Comment

A ton of black EM/NCO visors, minty with the white cream inliner? There are still very rare EM/NCO visors out that you will not find at all often offerend on the market.

Comment

Don't want to wander off the subject, but would agree with Robert H that early A-SS EM visors with the cream inliner are very scarce - almost impossible to find these days. But they are still EM caps.

Comment

Wow, Just found this from way back..
                          For me - I love Allgemeine SS Officers visors but equally love WSS NCO visors too.
                          Both rare and most desirable
                          Regards, Steve

Comment

As long as this has been resurrected, interesting topic, and tough call.

I have a WSS example, but have always wanted an A-SS piece to go with it (won't even go into a matching tunic for either, which would make another interesting poll thread). In the final analysis, still gotta go with the Waffen SS example.

Comment

Wow, another old thread resurfaces--I should have kept the poll open--mods, can you reopen it?
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X