Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Lost Sequels" to Dress & Field Service Hats of the Third Reich

Gents:

As you know, the late, great Tom Shutt published his seminal color work on TR headgear back in 1981: "Dress & Field Service Hats of the Third Reich" (if you don't have a copy, I strongly suggest you run out and get one now!). Anyway, the book was labelled "Volume I", and unfortunately, a Vol II never came to fruition. HOWEVER, Mr. Shutt did make a series of sequels to his books in the Mid 1980's using what was then cutting-edge technology--the VHS cassette. I had completely forgotten about these things until our own NTZ advised me that he had run across some old copies, and that he planned to put them on DVD.

Well, true to his word (and isn't he always?!) he did a masterful job of transferring them to DVD--I will go so far as to describe it as professional quality. There are three available--Vol 1 is for the Heer; Vol 2 LW & KM;
    and Vol 3 Waffen-SS. They are all in color, and give 360 views of the hats, along with some interior shots. Each DVD is 60 minutes in length--they include visors, m-43s; berets; alter-arts, etc, along with pics of the hats in wear.

While there are a few bloopers (a DAK general's visor and a Heer-Kleiderkasse SS visor), it is still a nice overview (and I even got my wife to sit and watch one). (My only complaint is that he didn't do any on Civil or Political.... )

NTZ won't toot his own horn, and I only found out that he was making them available by going to the Books section of the e-stand. Get 'em while they last--you won't be dissappointed!
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

We'd be up the creek without Chris and Nick.

Nice Work Nick, I am going to order all three right now.

Come on everybody, it is now up to us all to order copies to ensure Nick's hardwork doesn't stop here. I want one of his planned construction "under the hood" books.

JT

Comment

How about posting the URL to NTZ's thread on these. I did a search and could not find them.

Comment

Found it! Here 's the link;http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=1#post2272452

Comment

For those who have the original hardback version, there is a picture of my grandfather in his schutzpolizei uniform in the Police section. It is really still a great reference book.
          Doug

Comment

Doug, now I know who you are! Is your father still collecting (Bernd)?

You grampa had great taste in headgear--no NCO upgrades for him--wasn't his bio posted on one of the forums?
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Yes, my father still collects and occassionally posts here on WAF.
              He is still very focused on Police items.

We still have my grandfather's dress uniform, a field tunic that he left at home, and a few other items.

Doug

Comment

Gent's, Nick has sent me mine. GREAT .

Get your oders in before Christmas....

Comment

These are a nice reference for any cap collector.

The problem I have is that Mr.Shutts voice is so soothing that it puts me to sleep. Guess I should down some high test coffee before watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreager View Post
                    These are a nice reference for any cap collector.

The problem I have is that Mr.Shutts voice is so soothing that it puts me to sleep. Guess I should down some high test coffee before watching.
                    You got that right, that man is monotone plus

Comment

[quote=Kreager;2309888]These are a nice reference for any cap collector.

The problem I have is that Mr.Shutts voice is so soothing that it puts me to sleep. Guess I should down some high test coffee before watching.[/quote

Kreager--I know what you mean...how about that same intro over and over again--"hello, I'm Tom Shutt...." even my wife was imitating him after the third DVD (and she was in the other room while I was watching it!)
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

It is almost "Victor Kiam" from the Remington Ads.

I thought I was attending a corporate briefing on Third Reich Hats. Tom was definately years ahead with his presentation. This is must see reference material. I love the revolving cap effects.

Comment

This is interesting--the interior pics from the Shutt book are on Ebay as being from the National Archives:
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The second pic. The Lubstein "Officer" Panzer is a contract cap postwar upgraded to officer--commonly done in the 70s & 80s:
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X