Tropical Engineer Officers Visor Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im sure under this sand color top is a standard fieldgrey cloth
    years ago I have buy a nsdap cap,reworked(it was original made as wh officer cap) this way with a brown cover on the top of originla fieldgray and it was made so good ,that first after some months a frind of me find this out.
    very rare cap you have here Ron I think it is reworked for a officer in Afrika or Italy
    super item with for sure nice story
    Last edited by besslein; 09-08-2007, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Wow Ron, This is a tough one, just because it's not a very common cap, I would say very rare, infact. The body construction looks good. Insignia, even though the swastica is not symetrical, I think we might be ok on this one (we can't see the actual stitching on the eagle, but what's your opinions about the stitching, does it match the wreath stitching?) As for the SB, we all know those SB were not ment to last 60 years, hell probably no more then 5 years. So we would expect it to look like it does. The liner looks well salty and well used. Now about the visor, obviously it's pressed paper. On my monitor I don't see any signs of a thumb print, This may be something you can see with a hands on inspection. Personlly I like the over all construction. I can't wait to hear what others have to say, about this very rare find

Comment

Originally posted by besslein View Post
        Im sure under this sand color top is a standard fieldgrey cloth
        Something I've never seen or even considered before but I think you're right.
        It does have the look of a tropical cover neatly stitched over a standard visor cap, how cool would that be?

Comment

This is interesting Tropical cap. While visors are not my area of knowledge, the inside seems so much more worn than the exterior of cap ? Is this ok ? If it is covered later with tropical material over grey that might explain this too?

regards
          Tim

Comment

Never seen this before, but anything is possible. Has anyone got a period picture of this type of tropical schirmutze in wear. Jacques

Comment

If indeed the cap has a tropical cover over the original wool which it looks to have, it must have made it very hot to wear, ironic really but that would be one explaination why the exterior is in good condition but the interior a lot worse. It probably wasn't worn much but everytime he did wear it, his head must have sweated like a pig , rotting the interior, especially the s-band, very quickly.

Comment

With the interior showing this much wear and sweat staining it has obviouly been worn a great deal. I that case the top and sides of the cap would be sun bleached a lighter colour than the protected under side.
                Take a look Ron, if it is a uniform colour all round i would be worried....
                Kreager, isn't that a vulcan fibre visor....?

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by stevezz1 View Post
                  With the interior showing this much wear and sweat staining it has obviouly been worn a great deal. I that case the top and sides of the cap would be sun bleached a lighter colour than the protected under side.
                  Steve, with all respect, that doesn't have to be the case as I've tried to explain. Plus, "tropical climate" doesn't have to mean blazing sun either.

Comment

Originally posted by stevezz1 View Post
                    Kreager, isn't that a vulcan fibre visor....?

Steve.
                    Steve, Good point. In the first pics it looked pressed, guess I should have looked at them all more closely.

Comment

Nice Cap Ron. I like this one

Comment

Very nice cap... I like it.

Has anyone an similar one?

In Gary Wilkings Book "The collector's Guide to cloth third reich military headgear", is printed an similar cap. It shows an Africa corps offcier cap.

Best,
                        steiner99

Comment

I am by no means an expert. I believe this is a private purchase cap that would have been worn br a pragmatic engineer in warm country. I do not think it is cotton over wool. From the photos I believe that the body is just a cotton twill material on a basic frame. Probably done in a small tailor shop somewhere. The staining to the lining material is certainly consistant with constant hard wear. The overall appearance and construction plus the honest wear screams hard working engineer officer in a warm climate who had a comfortable cap made. Screams problem solving engineer to me. I really like it and would be comfortable owning it . I believe that it is a rare cap. Congratulations Sir.

Comment

I've only seen two other caps like this one. The first was in the collection of the 82nd Airborne Museum at Fort Bragg, and the second at the SOS last year. I have pics, but some have expressed doubts about it's authenticity. It is an eReL general's cap named to General Erwin Menny with the ventilated cockade.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Interior. Note the colors don't match which some have said is suspect.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I know i'm about five and a half years late here, but this cap and my summer pioneer officer's tunic should get together....

BC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X