Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detecting Fakes, relined or put together visors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi NTZ. Can not wait to see the rest. Will you be offering us here on this site the booklet first . Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul R. View Post
      Hi NTZ. Can not wait to see the rest. Will you be offering us here on this site the booklet first . Paul
      For sure, I just need to buckle down and finish it. I am very close.

Comment

Another tip is that most superfakes of the last 10 years do not use mid-late war quality "parts" for their hats.

By this I mean that you won't see paper sweatbands; cardboard visors; rough wool bodies; dull-gray basket-weave piping, etc. The primary reason is that pre-/early-war visors command a much higher premium
        than do late-war hats.

But be aware, some of the old fakes did use these things.
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I am having a real hard time just completing it and walking away. Every time I think I have everything covered something else comes up. I find new ways fakers do things, new fakes and even exceptions to the rules on good visors. I am somewhat a perfectionist and I just can’t leave well enough alone. Also I know have amassed many fans that would just love to critique it so I want all the bases covered. The book is 95% done. I am just searching for some more example pics for a few sections.

Comment

Do we know a publication date, publisher and price yet?

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
              I am having a real hard time just completing it and walking away. Every time I think I have everything covered something else comes up. I find new ways fakers do things, new fakes and even exceptions to the rules on good visors. I am somewhat a perfectionist and I just can’t leave well enough alone. Also I know have amassed many fans that would just love to critique it so I want all the bases covered. The book is 95% done. I am just searching for some more example pics for a few sections.

Hello

Any news ?

Comment

Myth-busting 101. A lot of collectors believe that linings stitched directly to the pasteboard (instead of the wool trim) are incorrect or fakes. While rare, it did occur. Here is a LW NCO by Prediger of Wunsdorf (who apparently was more of a tailoring house than a headgear maker):
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Another view of the Prediger:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Prediger logo:
                    Attached Files
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

maker

Please note the manufacturer is WUNSTORF, not WUNSdORF! You might end up in another city looking for them.

Comment

book!

Did NTZ ever complete the book referred to in this thread?

Comment

Haven't emailed Nick for ages but he never wrote a book.
                          I think he sold off most of his collection actually, don't blame him either.

Serious question though, would there be a demand for that kind of publication?

A thorough guide on detecting fakes?

Comment

Can this thread please be pinned. It is really valuable for the headgear section. J

Comment

There are some People who really need to read this Thread. And i am with Jacques, it should be pinned.
                              WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

I have taken the liberty to take some work done in other threads by NTZ (Nick) and SJP Steve to consolidate in this thread for easy reference. To illustrate some of the points raised by Nick on page one. Very valuable I for anyone that wants to understand visors and visor collection, especially on the level of high end fakes. J.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X