"Alteste Berliner"--A Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcdefend View Post
    I will be interested in seeing what it sells for.

Chris, why are the staples there in the front? Are those integral to the construction of these visors. I have seen Altestes without them.

John
    John, the staples are for attaching the bottom of the peak stiffener.
    They are common to most (but not all) Altestes--especially the "SS General" series.
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Another Aleste Visor

here is one at auction
      Attached Files

Comment

next
        Attached Files

Comment

last
          Attached Files

Comment

DOES ANYONE possibly know how many ALTESTE visors were produced ?...and what would thier value be in todays market? EC

Comment

Too many.

For value, wait and see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331931434676...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for all of the good info in this thread... I've learned a lot about Alteste visors today.

Comment

Why would you fake a cap in the 50's and 60's if you can find them almost everywhere? How's there money to be made in that?

Comment

Hallo Lt Visser

Many of them were high-end visors or desirable waffenfarben. I don't think that also in US or BRD a huge amount of SS Generalen were raining like hail also during that early post-war decades.

Marcello

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
                      Hallo Lt Visser

Many of them were high-end visors or desirable waffenfarben. I don't think that also in US or BRD a huge amount of SS Generalen were raining like hail also during that early post-war decades.

Marcello
                      SO these early SS GENERALS visor should comand a high price?.. EC

Comment

Hallo mrec

Your question is cryptic. As I understand it, you ask me if, in my judgment, a high-end Alteste visor commands a higher price than another fake cap? I answer that I am not a salesman, nor a collector of reproductions and so I have no way to answer you. I can add that if they are sold as originals, obviously it is a fraud and therefore, in my opinion, they have no value. Then there is an intermediate category of not original caps with added original badges, the latter of which have a value in themselves as well as detached pieces. Finally, if they are sold as copies the price depends on their quality. I personally do not know people who collect copies with consciousness and will, only someone who sometimes was a victim of the false's market myself including, but I believe that around the world there are surely quite a number of these people. So, in this sense, your question should be addressed to them. If I have interpreted wrong your intervention, I beg you to reformulate it in a more clear and intelligible way to me.

Best regards

Comment

Actually, I DO collect Alteste Reproduction Visors; IMO, other than Counterfeits &/or Frankies, they are simply the very best repros! In fact, I usually pay very generous prices for them, even above FMV if it is something I need or don't have & especially if they are large-sized on account of my mannequin's requirements AND/OR to also protect resale opportunities to 'stitch-Nazi' Reenactors who want/ demand the very best.

Why do I pay (usually more than a NEW Janke) for a Fake/ Repro? Well, I was once burned by one when I first began collecting, but I held onto it for sentimental reasons. When I became an avid WW2 HEADGEAR COLLECTOR (helmets/ cloth hats), I spent thousands upon thousands for originals that never saw the light of day, and few have seen the light since, as they remain locked-up in "secret storage" but out of my, my friends', &/or the public's view. Well, what the hell is the point, beyond investment, if you don't display your 'prizes'?

When I also began collecting Confederate Militaria, and mind you that an original Lt. Frock can fetch $45K, a kepi $25-65K, and some swords in the upwards of $20-50K, I did not have the funds to collect both! But despite pursuing another collecting field altogether, I never really lost my appreciation and appeal of German Headgear.

So, I began to buy Alteste visors to satisfy "my compulsion" & for a safe, inexpensive display piece; likewise, I sought out infamous CS counterfeited swords produced by Joe Walters/ House of Swords & Militaria for the same reason, especially ever since a dip**** client grabbed an original Confederate sword off my law office wall and broke the blade in two!!!

And so, for me I collected Alteste visors (as well as other Top-Notch Reproduction/ Counterfeit WW2 German Headgear) initially to continue my 'first passion' & thus to save money to fund my "obsession" (CS swords/ Militaria). Then such became my 'low cost/ low risk' display preference that actually opened many-many doors to hidden gems that were originals.

Overtime though, I studied such and began to gain an invaluable education of identifying methods, practices, and trends in reproductions hitting the market (& offered as originals); this education has provided more dividends than I ever imagined!

And so, to this very day, I actively seek/ purchase Alteste Visors, but also Top-Notch Repro &/or Counterfeits for "display/ fillers", to focus funds upon my primary interest in CS Militaria, AND to protect "newbies" from becoming fraud victims because I am such a benevolent S.O.B.!

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
                            Hallo mrec

Your question is cryptic. As I understand it, you ask me if, in my judgment, a high-end Alteste visor commands a higher price than another fake cap? I answer that I am not a salesman, nor a collector of reproductions and so I have no way to answer you. I can add that if they are sold as originals, obviously it is a fraud and therefore, in my opinion, they have no value. Then there is an intermediate category of not original caps with added original badges, the latter of which have a value in themselves as well as detached pieces. Finally, if they are sold as copies the price depends on their quality. I personally do not know people who collect copies with consciousness and will, only someone who sometimes was a victim of the false's market myself including, but I believe that around the world there are surely quite a number of these people. So, in this sense, your question should be addressed to them. If I have interpreted wrong your intervention, I beg you to reformulate it in a more clear and intelligible way to me.Best regards
                            Words of wisdom. Nicely stated!

Comment

Hallo Sgt

My heartfelt thanks to you and all the other friends

Comment

Originally posted by SgtB View Post
                                Words of wisdom. Nicely stated!
                                Amen!

Respectfully,

1 of "these people"!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 18 users online. 0 members and 18 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X