"Alteste Berliner"--A Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
    Actually, I DO collect Alteste Reproduction Visors; IMO, other than Counterfeits &/or Frankies, they are simply the very best repros! In fact, I usually pay very generous prices for them, even above FMV if it is something I need or don't have & especially if they are large-sized on account of my mannequin's requirements AND/OR to also protect resale opportunities to 'stitch-Nazi' Reenactors who want/ demand the very best.

Why do I pay (usually more than a NEW Janke) for a Fake/ Repro? Well, I was once burned by one when I first began collecting, but I held onto it for sentimental reasons. When I became an avid WW2 HEADGEAR COLLECTOR (helmets/ cloth hats), I spent thousands upon thousands for originals that never saw the light of day, and few have seen the light since, as they remain locked-up in "secret storage" but out of my, my friends', &/or the public's view. Well, what the hell is the point, beyond investment, if you don't display your 'prizes'?

When I also began collecting Confederate Militaria, and mind you that an original Lt. Frock can fetch $45K, a kepi $25-65K, and some swords in the upwards of $20-50K, I did not have the funds to collect both! But despite pursuing another collecting field altogether, I never really lost my appreciation and appeal of German Headgear.

So, I began to buy Alteste visors to satisfy "my compulsion" & for a safe, inexpensive display piece; likewise, I sought out infamous CS counterfeited swords produced by Joe Walters/ House of Swords & Militaria for the same reason, especially ever since a dip**** client grabbed an original Confederate sword off my law office wall and broke the blade in two!!!

And so, for me I collected Alteste visors (as well as other Top-Notch Reproduction/ Counterfeit WW2 German Headgear) initially to continue my 'first passion' & thus to save money to fund my "obsession" (CS swords/ Militaria). Then such became my 'low cost/ low risk' display preference that actually opened many-many doors to hidden gems that were originals.

Overtime though, I studied such and began to gain an invaluable education of identifying methods, practices, and trends in reproductions hitting the market (& offered as originals); this education has provided more dividends than I ever imagined!

And so, to this very day, I actively seek/ purchase Alteste Visors, but also Top-Notch Repro &/or Counterfeits for "display/ fillers", to focus funds upon my primary interest in CS Militaria, AND to protect "newbies" from becoming fraud victims because I am such a benevolent S.O.B.!
    COULD you possibly post pics of early ALTESTE SS ALGEMINE general visor?...iEC

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=876786
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Just goes to show that Altestes can become heavily mothed after 50+ years:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUNIE-PRE-...sAAOSwA3dYGlI2
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Pioneer :
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X